Have you ever seen the immune system of your body? Little to ponder if you have seen a tonsil which is the only visible side of our immune system. Just a generation ago, children could count on their tonsils being removed and to soothe the pain given an ice cream at the end of the ordeal, as surgery had remained the most popular option to treat repeated attacks of tonsillitis.
But, after realising the importance of primary protective function of tonsils, it is now being refrained from.
What are tonsils?
There are eight pairs of lymph tissue around the ear, nose and throat region which stand guard to the bacteria and viruses or simply any foreign invaders entering through our nose and throat. The small dimpled golf balls in the oral pharynx on either side of the throat are the tonsils and are one of the eight pairs of lymph tissues we are talking about.
They are made of lymph tissue which are rich in white blood cells and stimulate the immune system to produce antibodies when they identify the bacteria and viruses entering through the mouth, nose, sinuses, etc.
What is tonsillitis?
Tonsillitis is the name given to the red, swollen and tender tonsils. The appearance is because of inflammation of the tonsillar tissue by bacteria, viruses, etc. There could be an appearance of white accumulation on the tonsils.
How does tonsillitis occur?
To protect against infections, tonsils store white blood cells which engulf bacteria and viruses as they enter through our nose and mouth. When the white blood cells engulf bacteria and viruses, they produce a low-grade infection of the tonsils. This minor infection stimulate the body’s immune system to produce antibodies against future such infections.
But, sometimes, the tonsils are overwhelmed by the infective agents and become swollen and inflamed resulting in tonsillitis.
What can homoeopathy do?
- Homoeopathy can relieve an acute attack of tonsillitis.
- The cause of repeated attacks of tonsillitis is because of overwhelming infections making the immune system susceptible.
- Homoeopathy can prevent recurrent episodes of tonsillitis by improving the same.
- Probably, for a homoeopathic physician, this is an easy ailment to treat.
- Homoeopathic remedies like Belladonna, Bryonia, Merc sol and Baryta mur help in relieving the acute attack while Baryta carb, Hepar sulph, Silicea, Kali bich, and Psorinum help in relieving the chronic episodes.