Visakhapatnam: Another victim of May 7 gas leak in LG Polymers unit here died on Monday, taking the total number of deaths in the incident to 14 so far.
Elamanchili Kanakaraju, 45, a carpenter by profession in Venkatapuram, fell sick due to gas leak on May 7 and was admitted in a hospital near Zilla Parishad in the city. After treatment, he was discharged on May 11 but when he again had health problems, he was admitted in Suraksha hospital on May 14. After he was discharged, Kanakaraju was admitted in hosital again on May 20. He was given some tablets and sent home.
On Monday, he complained of stomach pain and breathlessness and died on the way hospital while going in an autorickshaw.
The family members said Kanakaraju did not receive even the Rs.1 lakh compensation for staying in hospital for more than two days. On a complaint from them, the officials sent the body to post mortem.
CPM city secretary Gangarao demanded payment of Rs.1 crore ex-gratia to the kin of Pala Venkayammma who died five days ago and Kanakaraju.
Now you can get handpicked stories from Telangana Today on Telegram everyday. Click the link to subscribe.