Hyderabad: Just a month after a blaze in an Attapur factory claimed six lives, workers in another factory in Mallapur had a lucky escape after the factory went up in flames in the wee hours of Wednesday. The factory did not have adequate fire safety measures in place, according to Fire Services officials. The fire broke out in Power Industries, which deals with the manufacturing of air-coolers, around 6 a.m., reportedly due to an electric short circuit in the packing section of the factory. Workers, who ran out for their lives, alerted the management, who in turn informed in the local fire station.
Officials said a team comprising 20 firefighters rushed to the spot along with four fire tenders. The firefighting, which began at 6.15 am lasted till 10 am, said N Mallesh, Fire Station Officer, Malkajgiri. As per preliminary investigations, the factory premises lacked fire safety measures. Though there were two water tanks, there was no connectivity provided to these tanks to ensure that a fire could be stopped from spreading to surrounding areas, officials said. “If the factory was equipped with basic fire safety measures, the loss of property would have been minimal,” an official said.
The Nacharam police also inspected the spot. “No case has been registered till now as the owners of factory weren’t available. After consulting them, further action will be initiated,” police said.