Hyderabad: Home isolation of mild and asymptomatic Covid-19 positive cases has started to yield encouraging results in Telangana State. While there are a few pockets in the community with reservations about the concept, the fact also remains that a majority of the Covid-19 positive patients in the State, who are mild and asymptomatic are being managed under home isolation.
At present, out of the 9,000 active Covid-19 cases in Telangana, 7,109 positive persons are under home isolation and their medical condition is being constantly monitored by doctors. Already close to 1,436 Covid-19 positive persons have recovered in home isolation in the State.
“Out of the 7,109 Covid-19 patients, just 26 patients needed hospitalisation while the rest of them are under-recovery. People must realise that Covid-19 can be defeated but for that to happen, they should not panic and follow the doctors’ advice,” said Health Minister Eatala Rajender on Monday.
Health officials, however, made it clear that home isolation is not meant for all Covid-19 positive patients. Only mild, pre-symptomatic and asymptomatic positive cases are eligible for home isolation. “Even patients with mild Covid symptoms should have access to a separate room in their residence. Patients who don’t have such facility are admitted to Government hospitals,” he said.
The new guidelines of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MOHFW), New Delhi empower the State health authorities to refer mild/presymptomatic patients who have the requisite facility at their residence for home-isolation. Such patients should have the requisite facility at their residence for self-isolation and also for quarantining family contacts.
Moreover, a caregiver should be available to provide care and there should be a communication link between the caregiver and hospital. The caregiver and all close contacts of such cases should take Hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) prophylaxis and patients must frequently update their health status to District Surveillance Officer.
Immediate medical attention must be sought if serious signs of symptoms develop including difficulty in breathing, persistent pain in the chest, mental confusion or as advised by the treating medical officers.
Patients will be allowed to discontinue their home isolation once their symptoms seize to exist the District Surveillance Officer provides a certificate that the patient is free from Covid-19 infection.
Steps for home quarantine
Who are eligible?
- Those who are assigned as clinically mild cases by doctors
- Such persons must have requisite facility to self-isolate in their homes
- Enough space must be available to quarantine family contacts
- A caregiver should be available round the clock
- Caregiver and family contacts must take HCQ as prophylaxis
- Can procure pulse oxymetre to measure Oxygen saturation
- Doctors will monitor health through phone
- Arogya Setu App must be downloaded and remain active all the time through Bluetooth and WiFi
When to get admitted to hospital?
- Difficulty in breathing; persistent pain/pressure in the chest; mental confusion; developing bluish discolorations of lips/face; advise from treating medical officer
When to discontinue home isolation?
- If symptoms are clinically resolved and the surveillance medical officers certify that the patient is free of infection after due laboratory testing
Now you can get handpicked stories from Telangana Today on Telegram everyday. Click the link to subscribe.