This article seeks to give an insight into the syllabus and preparation strategy for the FRO examination. The Telangana State Public Service Commission has issued a notification for recruitment of 67 Forest Range Officer (FRO) posts in the Forest Department.
The education qualification required for the examination is bachelor’s degree. The age qualification for the examination is 18 to 28 years of age.
The syllabus for General English is as follows:
• Vocabulary: synonyms, antonyms, phrasal verbs, commonly missed words,homonyms, homophones.
• Parts Of Speech: Noun, Pronoun, verb, adverb, adjectives, articles, conjunctions,prepositions.
• Tenses.• Direct Speech, Indirect Speech.• Simple, Compound and Complex Sentences.• Linkers and Clauses.
• Idioms and One Word Substitutions.• Comprehension.
• Degrees of Comparision.
• Question Pattern and Question Tags.
As it is clearly mentioned in the syllabus that the level of questions will be of class X Standard, it is suggested that candidates refer any standard English grammar books such as Wren and Martin used by high school students. As the paper is qualifying in nature, it is suggested that the students allocate about 15 percent of their preparation time to the paper and practice more exercises on the above mentioned topics.
Maths Paper: (SSC /High School Standard)
The notification clearly mentions that the questions in this segment will be of SSC level and therefore practising questions on these topics from the SSC text books from class VII to X will be sufficient as it is a qualifying paper.
General Studies Paper:
• Current affairs – Regional, National, and International
The syllabus clearly specifies regional, national and international current affairs and therefore candidates must focus equally on all the three areas. Since the examination is scheduled in October, current affairs from June 2017 to September 2017 must be focused on.
• International Relations and Events
This segment can be considered as an extension to the international current affairs where in the candidate is expected to check the backgrounders of the current international events. For example while reading about a summit meeting, the candidate along with the date and venue of the summit meeting, must also check on the information related to the organisation like – the year it came into existence, it’s member countries, its purpose and so on.
• General Science; India’s Achievements in Science and Technology
SSC text books of Science subject from classes VI to X must be referred for General Science. Focus must be more on application based questions. For Science and technology, candidates must read all the important launches in the fields of space and defence and also about the important institutions related to space, defence and biotechnology and their locations
• Environmental issues; Disaster Management- Prevention and Mitigation Strategies
Environmental issues are newly added to the syllabus. The segment can be broadly divided into two categories – concepts and environmental conventions. ICSE text books on environmental sciences from class VII to class X will give good details about the concepts in environment. NCERT text books of class VII, IX and X can be referred for disaster management.
• Economic and Social Development of India and Telangana.
• Physical, Social and Economic Geography and Demography of Telangana.
• Physical, Social and Economic Geography of India.
• Policies of Telangana State.
For Indian Geography, a standard atlas like Blackswan Atlas and NCERT Text books from classes VII to X must be referred. The SSC Social Studies text books (from classes VI to X) and the 2016-17 Economic Survey report will be useful for Telangana Geography and economy. Basics of Indian economy can be read from NCERT 9 to 12 Text books.
• Socio-economic, Political and Cultural History of Modern India with special emphasis on Indian National Movement.
NCERT old edition on modern Indian History must be referred for this segment.
• Socio-economic, Political and Cultural History of Telangana with special emphasis on Telangana Statehood Movement and formation of Telangana state.
• Society, Culture, Heritage, Arts and Literature of Telangana.
An overview of these two segments given in Telugu Academy text books must be referred.
• Indian Constitution; Indian Political System; Governance and Public Policy.
Any standard Indian Polity text book like Indian Polity by Laxmikanth can be referred
• Social Exclusion; Rights issues such as Gender, Caste, Tribe, Disability etc. and inclusive policies.
This area is newly added to the syllabus. This are includes – problems and issues related to women, BCs, SCs, STs and so on. The book published by Telugu academy on Indian Society will be sufficient for this segment. A book on gender equality has been published by the Government of Telangana which can be used for this segment.