Hyderabad varsity scholar injured in fire mishap

Though initially suspected to be a suicide bid, the woman in her statement said it was an accident

By Author  |  Published: 17th May 2018  1:12 am

Hyderabad: A 25-year-old PhD research scholar of University of Hyderabad (UoH) suffered serious burn injuries after her clothes caught fire, reportedly in an accidental manner, in university hostel in the wee hours of Wednesday.

Though it was initially suspected to be a suicide bid, the woman in her statement to the police later said it was an accident. Police said she had also said that she was depressed due to her poor performance in academics.

According to Gachibowli police, the woman was identified as Neetu Das from Odisha, doing research on Plant Sciences at the university. She joined the university in January this year and was staying in the ladies hostel in the South Block on the campus. She had appeared twice for the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research entrance exams, but could not clear. She has been depressed since then.

According to her statement, on Wednesday around 12.30 am while she was alone in the room, sitting on the bed and contemplating about her exam results and poor performance, she absent mindedly lit a match stick, which fell on her dress, which caught fire.

“When first time she lit a match stick, it fell on her nightwear and caught fire. She immediately put it off. She again lit another matchstick, which also fell on her clothes and caught fire, which she managed to put out. Third time, however, when she lit a matchstick, the bed too caught fire. Her back and waist suffered burn injuries in the incident,” police said.

Unable to bear the pain, she rushed to the washroom and poured water on herself to douse the fire. Her friends in adjacent rooms who heard her screaming rushed to her rescue and shifted her to the clinic on the university premises. From there she was shifted in an ambulance to a private hospital and later to Osmania General Hospital.

Police said she had suffered 45 per cent burns. She is undergoing treatment and her condition is stated to be stable. A case of a fire accident has been booked and is being probed.