Kaleshwaram project works enter crucial phase

The gate was erected on the Annaram barrage, one of the three major barrages -- the other two being Medigadda and Sundillla -- that comprise the mega integrated project. 

By Author   |   Published: 17th Mar 2018   10:15 pm Updated: 18th Mar 2018   12:54 am
Kaleshwaram project
Irrigation Minister T Harish Rao at Kaleshwaram project site.

Hyderabad: The construction of the Kaleshwaram project entered a crucial phase with the erection of the first radial crest gate on Saturday. The gate was erected on the Annaram barrage, one of the three major barrages — the other two being Medigadda and Sundillla — that comprise the mega integrated project.

Irrigation Minister T Harish Rao, who has been monitoring the design and fabrication of the crest gates for the past few months, made an unscheduled visit to the project site to witness the erection of the gate, a major feat in the final phase of the project works.

As many as 66 gates are to be installed on Annaram barrage, 86 on Medigadda barrage and 74 on Sundilla. These gates were manufactured adhering to standard codes of practice laid down for the purpose of ensuring specified levels of tolerance of the steel structures.

Kannam Naidu, a well known mechanical engineer and expert in erection of crest gates and Satyanarayana, a design expert and retired chief engineer, were among those who were involved in the designing and fabrication process. Several rounds of review held by the Minister for Irrigation with experts in recent months culminated in the installation of the first gate in the day.

Earth work completed

The projects works were being executed with workmen engaged in three shifts. About 4.50 lakh cubic metres of earth work was already completed on the three barrages. Another 1.31 lakh cubic metres of earth work is yet to be completed.

Nearly 80 per cent of the concrete works were also completed on the project. The Minister wanted the officials to ensure completion of the remaining 20 per cent of the concrete works within the next two months. Nearly 70 per cent of works on the Annaram-Kannepalli gravity canal were completed. Harish Rao said that all-out efforts were being made to complete the works on the three barrages and three pumphouses as desired by the Chief Minister, K Chandrashekhar Rao, on schedule. He visited the works in progress on the three projects under different packages as part of his stocktaking exercise.