It has been over a decade since a bunch of innocent villagers won our hearts. Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India, released in 2001, portrayed the awe-inspiring tale of an entire village learning an absolutely alien game to win against the arrogant British team, in order reclaim their rights and avoid the hefty taxes.
* Lagaan was the third Indian film to be nominated for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film, among other international recognitions.
* Director Ashutosh Gowariker initially considered Shah Rukh Khan for the movie. When the Badshah refused, he turned to Aamir Khan, whequally apprehensive. However, Aamir signed up and the rest, as they say, is history.
* Lagaan was shot in an ancient village near Bhuj, which had fewer facilities. Unable to find an accommodation, the team, under Aamir’s supervision, rented out a newly constructed building. Apparently, the building was completely destroyed in the January 26, 2001 Bhuj earthquake.
* When the movie’s first public screening happened in a theatre in Bhuj, and the song Ghanana ghanana started playing, it actually started raining heavily and there was a power cut. However, the screening wasn’t interrupted and generators were used.
* Although they started romancing much later, Aamir Khan met the love of his life Kiran Rao on the sets of Lagaan. Kiran was working as an assistant director for the movie.