Add a dash of this nutty, crunchy and creamy nut to your delicacies and make them all the more flavourful for your loved ones. An excellent source of Omega-3, California walnuts are a powerhouse of antioxidants, fibre and protein that makes it a perfect ingredient for any dish they are incorporated into.
Raw, toasted, caramelised or crushed, 28 gm of walnuts a day is all you need to keep your festive spirits soaring. Celebrity Chef Sabyasachi Gorai has come up with these exciting recipes intended to make these regular dishes all the more delicious.
- 80 gm eggplant
- 80 gm beetroot mix
- 20 gm Kalimpong cheese
- 10 gm amaranth
- Ground mustard
- Coriander sprigs
- 50 gm crushed California walnuts
Ingredients for beetroot Mix
- 200 chopped beetroots
- 100 gm California walnuts
- 75 gm tomato ketchup
- 5 gm red chilli powder
- 2 gm coriander powder
- 2 gm cumin powder
- 15 gm ginger paste
- For beetroot paste, heat oil and add the spices and ginger paste, cook well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and cook till beetroot is soft and cooked well. Leave aside to cool.
- Fry the eggplant and then drain excess oil.
- Top the eggplant with the beetroot mix.
- Crust it with California walnuts on one side and cheese on one side.
- Bake in the oven at 200°C till the cheese melts.
- Garnish with ground mustard paste drizzle and coriander sprigs.
- Serve with beetroot mix.
California walnut kebab
- 20 pc California walnut halves
- 1 cup powdered California walnuts
- 2 tbsp oil
- 100 gm grated paneer (cottage cheese)
- 2 medium grated carrots
- Salt to taste
- 1 ½ tsp ginger paste
- 1 ½ tsp garlic paste
- 2 medium potatoes boiled, peeled and mashed
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp crushed green chilli
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- 1 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- ¼ cup gm flour (besan)
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a non-stick pan. Add California walnuts, carrots and salt and sauté until extra moisture dries up.
- To this, add garlic paste, ginger paste and sauté for ½ min. Turn off the flame and add potatoes and coriander leaves to the California walnuts mixture. Transfer it into a grinder and mix till well blended.
- Add green chilli, chaat masala, roasted cumin powder, garam masala powder and grind again.
- Transfer the mixture into a bowl and let the mixture cool completely.
- Now roast gram flour in another non-stick pan for 2-3 mins. Add it to the California walnut mixture in the bowl.
- To the mixture, add California walnut powder and breadcrumbs and mix everything well. Keep the bowl in a refrigerator for about 15 mins. Divide the mixture into equal portions.
- Grease your palms and shape each portion into finger-size sausages. Heat a little oil in a non-stick pan and cook the kebabs, turning the sides a few times, till they are evenly cooked all around.
- Serve hot garnished with chopped California walnuts.