Devipatnam: A tourist boat on a trip to Papikondalu caught fire and was gutted on Friday, but after the passengers were shifted to safe shores.
The fire mishap occurred due to a short circuit in the engine of the boat, which is said to be very old. According to available information, a private tourism boat Royal Godavari was carrying the passengers on a trip to showcase the scenic beauty of Papikondalu on the banks of the Godavari river.
It had started from Polavaram for Papikondalu, but suddenly caught fire between Veeravaram and Pudipalli villages. The crew, who noticed the fire, immediately pulled the boat ashore and got all the 80 passengers off the board to safety.
The passengers were later shifted to another boat.