Amaravati: At least nine people died after allegedly consuming sanitiser in Prakasam district of Andhra Pradesh on Friday, the police said.
Prakasam district Superintendent of Police Siddharth Kaushal, who visited Kurichedu mandal headquarters, said the people had been consuming sanitiser for the past few days, mixing it with water and soft drinks. “We are also investigating whether they laced the sanitiser with any other toxic substances,” the SP said.
“Their family members say these people have been taking sanitiser for the past 10 days. We are sending the sanitiser stocks, being sold in the area, for examination,” the SP added.
Kurichedu was currently under lockdown due to spurt in coronavirus cases and as such the liquor vends were also shut for the past few days. Habitual tipplers, however, were said to be consuming sanitiser that has alcohol content, apart from illicitly distilled arrack.
Two beggars near a temple were the first to fall victim on Thursday night.
While one of them was found dead at the spot, another died at the government hospital in Darsi town, the police said.
A third person was also taken to the Darsi hospital late on Thursday night after he fell unconscious but he was declared brought dead.
Six others who took ill after allegedly consuming sanitiser, succumbed on Friday morning. A couple of others, who also complained of some problems after consuming sanitiser, were undergoing treatment at their residences in the village, the police added.
Now you can get handpicked stories from Telangana Today on Telegram everyday. Click the link to subscribe.