No trace yet of Indian family missing in the US

According to reports in the local US media, a search was still underway north of Leggett for an SUV that was swept away with its occupants in flood waters in the Eel River.

By Author  |  Published: 11th Apr 2018  5:04 pmUpdated: 12th Apr 2018  6:25 pm
Indian family

Hyderabad: Even as the Indian government is making efforts in coordination with US authorities to intensify the search for the family of Sandeep Thottapilly that went missing in northern California on April 5, there is no news yet on the family’s whereabouts.

This is after disturbing news emerged on Monday that the family’s SUV could have been washed away in flood waters while they were traveling from Portland, Oregon to San Jose, California.

According to reports in the local US media, a search was still underway north of Leggett for an SUV that was swept away with its occupants in flood waters in the Eel River. The SUV, according to authorities, matched the description of the one driven by Sandeep.

Sandeep and his family, comprising his wife Soumya, and their children Siddhant and Saachi, were on their way from Portland in a maroon Honda Pilot to San Jose, when they suddenly stopped communicating with relatives in Valencia.

Indian family
Sandeep Thottapilly, his wife Soumya, and their children Siddhant and Saachi.

“This vehicle and the missing person’s vehicle are similar but, at this time, we are unable to confirm it’s the same vehicle,” authorities had said.

The news has further devastated relatives and friends, who have been making relentless efforts to get authorities intensify the search for the family. Sandeep’s father Babu Subramaniam Thottapilly had earlier tweeted to External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj, asking for her help.

A call to him on Tuesday was answered by his sister, who said he was not in a position to talk.

Meanwhile, Swaraj, who had on Monday said that she had asked for a report from the Indian Consul General in San Francisco, tweeted on Tuesday that she was in ‘constant touch’ with the Consulate.

“They are coordinating with the Police. Rest assured. We will spare no effort,” she tweeted.

At the same time, there were reports in the local media that this was the second such incident was reported from the same county. A few weeks ago, eight persons of a family, including six children, died when their vehicle plunged off a highway into surging waters.