Personalised cancer care need of the hour: experts

By Author  |  Published: 8th Nov 2019  11:52 pm

Hyderabad: Senior oncologists stressed the need to introduce personalisation of cancer treatment based on patient’s genetic structure, here on Friday.

At the ongoing two-day international conference on Genitourinary Oncopathology at Basvatarakam Indo America Cancer Hospital and Research institute, oncologists said that personalised care based on patient’s genetic information had the potential to yield better results.

“According to estimates, only 70 per cent of cancer patients of stage-I cancer are getting positive results in cancer treatment while the remaining 30 per cent are not. The reason for such results are said to be the uniqueness among one’s genetic construction,” said Director, BIACH&RI, Dr TS Rao.

Dr Ian Cree from International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), while interacting with press persons on Friday, said that World Health Organisation (WHO) had started working on sub-classification of tumours and developing various sub specialities.

Dr Sudha Murthy, Head of Laboratory Medicine, BIACH&RI, said that the conference was aimed at promoting individual specific genetic screening in order to achieve personalisation of cancer care.


Now you can get handpicked stories from Telangana Today on WhatsApp / Telegram everyday. Click these links to subscribe and save this number 9182563636 on your contacts.

Click to follow Telangana Today Facebook page and Twitter