The concept of community isolation of individuals with infectious disease was prevalent in Ayurveda literature from time immemorial. The prevention measures to check the spread of communicable disease as documented in the verses of Sushruta Samhita are very similar to what is propagated today.
The corresponding meaning of the Sanskrit verses of the Ancient book is as below-
Prasanga: Very close physical contact
Gaatra samsparsha: Touching the affected person,
Nishwaasa: The droplet infection
Sahabhojana: Eating together with the affected person
Sahashayya: Sharing bed of the affected person
Saha aasana: Sitting closely, together with the affected person
Vastra mala anulepana: Using the clothes, ornaments etc., of the affected person
A pandemic of this magnitude, keeping even the superpowers on an edge, is a very new disaster we are locked up with today. A good immunity is the key to fight the outbreak in addition to social distancing.
While the professionals worldwide are educating the society about the symptoms of Covid infection and how to control the mode of spread, there is abundant new research working on the reasons to maintain a healthy immune system. Research on Ayurveda drugs taken up by the health organisations of the country like ICMR and National Institute of Epidemology is applauded by the Ayurveda Vaidya community.
Keeping a track of the ongoings here, let us directly take a leap to know how individual immune system can be strengthened by adopting daily measures from Ayurveda.
Ayurveda believes in overall assessment of the patient with a disease considering his symptoms, body type, monitoring his/her ritucharya (seasonal regimen) and dinacharya (daily regimen).
• Personal hygiene and community hygiene is the first and foremost measure in the prevailing conditions. Frequently washing hands, using sanitizers, keeping self and surroundings clean is necessary.
• At a community level, Guggulu dhupana should be practised by every family. Acharya Kashyapa called it “Arishta Dhoopa”. The contents would include Rala (Shorea robusta), Nimba (Azadirachta indica), Vacha (Acorus calamus). Dhupana should be done near every house or building of the colony. If this is practised daily, the community exposure to infection reduces in no time. (Scientifically proved efficacy of Dhupana reference-International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research, evaluation of antimicrobial and antifungal property of dhoopana karma (fumigation) – by “dhup”an ayurvedic dhoopana product)
• In case guggulu is not available, Gomaya (cow excreta) can be used for dhupana by adding Ajamoda- Bishop’s Weed (ajwain) or its leaves and lavanga, in the lighted excreta. Burning only Neem leaves, neem bark, neem fruit can also be similarly beneficial.
• If one has dry cough, one can drink warm water. Water boiled with a small ginger piece and Tulsi leaves is beneficial. ½ to ¾ spoon of Yashti Madhu (Liquorice) churna (also called Mulethi) with honey can be taken in case of non-diabetic patients.
• Warm water gargle with Haridra /Turmeric (Curcuma longa) or little salt is necessary in case of throat irritation. Warm Haridra water can be taken as a drink daily.
• In cases of difficulty in breathing, patients who do not have heart diseases can take steam inhalation with drops of Nilgiri (Eucalyptus) oil. Haridra/ Turmeric in water for steam inhalation is also useful.
For the above symptoms, Vasa (Adathoda vasika) leaves can be used in the form of juice. Vasa should be avoided in people taking Oral Hypoglycaemic agents or medicines for diabetes, as it may lower blood sugar levels. Many other single drugs like Pippali, Pushkaramoola , Hareetaki, Lavanga, Ela (Ilaichi) etc. can be used for symptomatic relief and as proven anti-microbials.
Consult your Ayurveda Physician for knowing the method of their use, as they vary according to person’s Prakriti (body type). Practice Yoga asanas, Pranayama daily to maintain a healthy lifestyle while staying indoors and to enhance immunity naturally.
All the above mentioned preparations should be taken under medical supervision. Do consult your Ayurveda doctor before using them.
Dr Rajashri Sonti
Consultant Ayurveda Physician
Radhaa’s Ayurway, Gachibowli.
Now you can get handpicked stories from Telangana Today on Telegram everyday. Click the link to subscribe.