Six more feathers for Hyderabad’s heritage

Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage (INTACH) asserts that these monumental vestiges of history deserved more attention.

By Author  |  Published: 20th Apr 2017  1:34 amUpdated: 20th Apr 2017  1:40 am
Hyderabad History

Hyderabad: Silent, yet majestic, these are the new feathers of pride for heritage lovers in Hyderabad. Tourists and connoisseurs of art and culture now have six more must visit spots in the city with the Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage (INTACH) asserting that these monumental vestiges of history deserved more attention. 

Here is a quick catalogue of the six winning nominations of the 22nd INTACH Heritage awards, which were announced here on Tuesday:

————————————————————————————————————————-

Khanqah of Hazrat Shah Khamosh, Mecca Masjid

————————————————————————————————————————-

The Khanqah of Hazrat Shah Khamosh is located behind Mecca Masjid. Essentially a building catering to the needs of a Sufi order in its spiritual pursuits, a Khanqah is the place where a Sufi master imparts education and guidance to his ‘murids’ and holds devotional meets. When Hazrat Shah Khamosh first arrived in Hyderabad, the then reigning Nizam Nasir-ud Dawlah Asaf Jah IV requested him to take up residence at the Qutb Shahi period structure between the Mecca Masjid and his own residence at Chow Mahalla palace. Hazrat Shah Khamosh lived here for over 50 years till his death in 1301 Hijri (1884 CE) and succeeding Nizams remained ardent devotees.

The structure during Qutb Shahi times was composed of a single bay trabeated gallery with some parts enclosed to form rooms and others serving as open verandahs. The Khanqah is a repository of numerous holy relics.

————————————————————————————————————————-

The EME War Memorial, Secunderabad

————————————————————————————————————————-

Dedicated to the memory of the martyrs of the Corps of Electronics and Mechanical Engineers who laid down their lives in the service of the country, the EME War Memorial at Secunderabad was erected in the year 1967.

It is 25 feet tall, a four-sided tapering pillar of dressed granite rising from a square base on a large platform.

Located in a well laid out garden, the memorial was designed by the noted Anglo-Hyderabadi architect Eric Marret who was then the Chief Architect of the State.

On the memorial and on tablets installed around it, are inscribed the names of all martyrs of the Corps who lost their lives in action since it was raised in the year 1943.

 

————————————————————————————————————————-

Rock Formations of MANUU

————————————————————————————————————————-

At a time when the unique rock formations of Hyderabad have been under constant threat from the ever increasing needs of the rapidly expanding city, it is essential to welcome and support any attempt at the productive use of rock intensive areas in a sensitive manner. The Maulana Azad National Urdu University has made a conscious effort in creating usable space without disturbing the natural settings within its campus. The areas around some of the rocks and rock formations on the campus have been landscaped and provided with lighting.

————————————————————————————————————————-

Osmania University Central Library

————————————————————————————————————————-

Perched on the highest promontory of the Osmania University campus, the Library was inaugurated by the then President, Dr.Sarvepalli Radhakrishna in August 1963. Along with the OU, a library was established in 1918 and it moved to the present campus after completion of the Arts College building.

Departing from the architectural legacy of the Osmanian period, the facade of the library attempts at creating a new idiom and is marked with the absence of the Indo-Saracenic arch which was the defining architectural element of that period. The two soaring columns of the entrance portal dominate the facade and provide some architectural unity with earlier buildings of the university.

————————————————————————————————————————-

The Cottage Industries Sales Depot, Gunfoundry

————————————————————————————————————————-

The Cottage Industries Sales Depot located at Gunfoundry was constructed by the City Improvement Board for use as a sales depot by the Department of Commerce & Industries of the Nizam government in 1936. At first glance, the architecture of the building appears severe and is exceedingly spartan compared to contemporary structures such as Jubilee Hall. The fact that the subdued facade is intentional and deliberate becomes immediately apparent when one enters the building and confronts the breathtaking array of handicrafts.

————————————————————————————————————————-

Ravindra Bharathi, Saifabad

————————————————————————————————————————-

Constructed to commemorate the birth centenary of Nobel Laureate Rabindranath Tagore in 1961, the Ravindra Bharathi has the distinction of being the first of the ‘Tagore Theatres’ of India to be ready for the inaugural of the Tagore Centenary celebrations. It is the first auditorium in Hyderabad dedicated solely to cultural activities and continues to be the most prestigious venue for cultural performances despite the addition of numerous other venues.

It was designed by Mohammed Fayazuddin, the internationally renowned architect-planner of Hyderabad.

————————————————————————————————————————-