Student hangs himself while on WhatsApp video call in Hyderabad

By Author  |  Published: 15th Mar 2018  7:58 pmUpdated: 23rd Mar 2018  12:51 am
Screen grab of the recording.

Hyderabad: In yet another shocking suicide by a youngster in the city, a 20-year-old ITI student hanged himself while on a live video call with a girl, who had reportedly rejected his love proposal here, on Wednesday.

According to the police, Ajmer Sagar, a native of Sircilla District, was living at his elder sister’s house in Vinayak Nagar. He was an ITI second year student at a government institute in Sanathnagar. The incident was around 10.45 am on Wednesday when Sagar’s sister and relatives went to their village.

Sagar was alone at home and the incident came to light when the owner of the house found his body hanging a few hours later.

“After his sister and relatives left home, Sagar was alone. Sagar’s sister contacted the house owner and said that he was not answering her calls. He then went to check and found the body hanging,” said J Venkat Reddy, Sub-Inspector, Neredmet.

Police, who booked a case based on a complaint lodged by Sagar’s mother Rajavva, have recovered a WhatsApp video call that was made and recorded from Sagar’s mobile phone. The video shows Sagar talking to a minor girl, who is believed to have rejected his proposal, and then committing suicide as she and another girl watch in shock.

Neredmet Inspector M Jagadish Chander said Sagar was in love with the girl, but she had rejected his proposal and their parents too had said no to the same. Following this, Sagar had gone into depression and had several times expressed disappointment with his family for rejecting his love.

Chander said the 2-minute video recorded during the call using an app on the phone.

“The girl was watching him when Sagar hanged himself. Along with her, there was another girl too, who is seen waiving her hand asking him not to take the extreme step,” he said, adding that the mobile phone was sent to the Telangana Forensic Science Laboratory for examination.

Police said relatives of both parties were contacted and further investigation was on. The body was meanwhile handed over to the family after autopsy at Gandhi Hospital morgue on Thursday.