Parents of young children who have been diagnosed with ADHD or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder are concerned about the child’s learning abilities. But one thing that they forget is that it could actually affect the behaviour and the social life of the kid too! The altered social behaviour of the child at school and other environments could influence the society to have a different outlook and further influence the child. It is imperative the child is attended to with this issue to see that the overall growth of the child goes ahead properly and undeterred.
ADHD has three main symptoms that are predominant. Inattention, Hyperactivity and Impulsivity.
A child who is inattentive would:
• Make repeated, careless mistakes and would not pay attention to what the teacher is saying and fail to note down the tasks to be accomplished. This leads to more errors at their work.
• While attempting to do their work or task, lose focus and leave their task unfinished or quickly jump to another. They could be bored with what they have at hand and focus on some other activity.
• They would have difficulty in listening and their mind would wander to some other imaginations.
• Once the child is unable to complete the homework repeatedly, the teacher is more likely to take it as an oppositional behaviour or the child’s inability to follow the instructions and they are treated differently even when they are capable of pursuing things.
• Such children have difficulty in organising their things and planning time and always lag behind.
• The inattention makes it impossible for the child to concentrate on tasks that require mental exertion for a period of time and they end up not learning any concept completely.
• They lose their books, pencils, toys and other day-to-day required objects.
• A child is reflective to stimuli but such children do not immediately respond to light, noise or any other activity going around them.
• They forget things easily.
A child with ADHD is usually hyperactive:
• Such children have abundant physical energy and keep moving around.
• They cannot sit still and keep squirming in their seats all the time and keep fidgeting with things around them.
• So much so that, they keep moving around in the classrooms, and sitting in their place is a punishment for them!
• Hyperactivity pushes them to scale heights and ignore danger signals and keep running around.
• Activities which involve sitting is a strict no-no for them as they do not have the patience to engage in them.
• It is difficult to stop them from chattering at school.
ADHD children are impulsive:
• Children disregard the consequences and cannot control their impulsiveness.
• They cannot wait for the question to be asked and jump with an answer or while reading the question paper do not have the patience to go through and attempt the answer.• Impulsive children interrupt others at work or do not have the patience with other’s conversations and add their opinions right away.
Some of the symptoms look usual and may not suggest a disorder but if these come in the way of learning and behaviour of the child socially, they need to be considered with the help of a psychologist who can help in assessment before a homeopathic physician takes over. An inattentive child with appropriate symptoms typical to them is better with Valeriana and Tarentula hipania. A child who is keen to move away from work and listening is helped with Ac nit, Calcarea carb, China etc. An impulsive child is calmed down with Cina, Chamomilla, Hyoscyamus etc. To bring back the child to the normal growth curve of learning and adaptation, homeopathy is the best bet.