Hyderabad: In what could be the country’s biggest release of dogs from research laboratories, around 300 beagles are all set to be released from various labs engaged in animal testing in Hyderabad.
There is a catch though. Each of these dogs, known to be very docile and affectionate – which is precisely why they ended up being born in laboratories – now need a home, and a loving family to take care of them.
“They gave up their life so that scientists could come up with innovations for us. So it is our turn to give them back at least a home,” says Vasanthi Vadi, honorary vice-president, Blue Cross of Hyderabad, who is now trying to make re-homing arrangements for the beagles.
While the release of beagles from laboratories is not a new development, with labs in Bengaluru releasing 156 beagles last year, such a release is a first in Hyderabad, that too on this scale, she says.
There is one more catch, she adds. Most people think of puppies when it comes to getting a pet. The beagles from the labs are three to four years old and need a little patience to deal with.
“Though they are very friendly and docile, they are coming into an entirely new environment after being in a different environment. It’s nothing to worry about though. We will give counselling and help those who come forward to adopt these beagles,” she adds.
There is an application form available on the Blue Cross website, and the necessary contacts who will guide the prospective beagle family through the proceedings. The dogs are not for sale either.
They are healthy and agile, sterilised, vaccinated and entirely harmless. Just that they need loving, pet-friendly homes with animal-friendly families, Vasanthi Vadi says.
Blue Cross of Hyderabad
• Website: www.bluecrosshyd.org
• Contact: +919642229858, +919966629858 (9am to 5 pm)
• Email: [email protected]
• A small scent hound
• Origin believed to be from Great Britain
• Intelligent, popular pet
• Active companion for kids and grownups alike
• Still used as detection/hunting dog in many countries
• In India, used by pharmaceutical labs for drug testing
• Snoopy from Charles Schulz’s comic strip
• Odie from the Garfield comic strip
• Gromit from ‘Wallace and Gromit’
• Mr Peabody from ‘Rocky and Bullwinkle’
• Poochie from ‘The Simpsons’