Tips to remember for first job

You have only the first few minutes to make your first impression. During an interview it is absolutely fine to say "I don't know" if you do not know the answer to a particular question.

By Author   |   Published: 13th Nov 2017   12:12 am Updated: 13th Nov 2017   1:14 am

The first step, just like the first impression, is always crucial. And the first job that’s there on your profile, as you go ahead in your career, is quite important. Here are a few tips that could help in zeroing in the first step in your career. About 2.5 million students graduate every year, out of which 10 to 20 percent are placed through campus. The remaining 80 percent join the job market which is already saturated. If you look at the data, about 12 million graduates are looking for job at any point of time and when you look for “jobs” on Google, about 2.27 billion results are displayed. So how do you make a sound decision and zero in on the one which is for you?

Choose one that matches your profile.

Just as every person has a different personality, every job role has a certain environment. When looking or applying for a job, ensure you choose the one that matches your personality type.

Choose the industry wisely

If you want to get the right first job to kick start your career, you need to be in an industry that is perfect for you. I would suggest not to apply only in big companies. Apply to smaller companies where your chances are much better.

Join as an executive

It is better to be an executive than a manager because you do not know the industry, the company or the job profile. If you join as an executive, the expectations from you as an employee are lower. And then climb up the ladder.

Don’t get intimidated by big companies

Most successful CEOS in India started their careers in Mumbai or Delhi for non-IT sectors and Bangalore for IT. Keep that in mind.

College alumni can help

Your seniors from college can help you in landing your right first job because of the ”referral” programme. Stay in constant touch with them. Networking has multiple benefits.

Work with a specialized recruitment consultant

Look specifically for a fresher recruitment consultant and not just any recruitment consultant.

Search online

Google search, job board search and company website search can help you identify suitable vacancies. Some lesser known but top ten job boards are www.jobstreet.co.in, www. Careerjet.com and www.placementindia.com. Use job alerts to get information as soon as it is posted on the job board and use salary information for negotiating a better deal.

Your resume only takes 10 seconds to make an impression

Cut and paste resumes get rejected the fastest. Your resume can be of 2 pages provided all information should be relevant and accurate.

Tread carefully in a written test

Guess work when there is a negative marking is a disaster. Relative scoring is done so don’t panic if it’s tough.

Don’t pretend in an interview

You have only the first few minutes to make your first impression. During an interview it is absolutely fine to say “I don’t know” if you do not know the answer to a particular question. Reassure the interviewer that you will research and speak to someone to find out the correct answer.