Stomach is the first organ of the body which has to bear the brunt of all the ‘niceties’ of social life today as offering a meal and partaking one is the way the lifestyle of today accepts it. Not to talk of tea, coffee or alcohol over which many a chai pe charcha happens. That brings us to the predicament of the upset stomach.
Gastritis is an inflammation of the stomach. It starts at the end of the oesophagus which has a sphincter to allow the food ingested to flow only downwards and prevent any reflux. It is a bag-like structure and ends in a bulb-like structure, the duodenum.
This is where the food could remain for about a couple of hours after eating and HCl is released hence breaking down the proteins, while the bile juice is released by the liver and flown into the duodenum to break down fats. All seems to be well but there are certain conditions that set the inflammation of the lining of the stomach wall.
* Helicobacter pylori is a bacteria that is a common cause of this change.
* Painkillers in common parlance are the usual cause as the non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs can cause an erosion of the lining of the stomach wall.
* Stimulants like tea, coffee, alcohol out of proportion can cause an increased secretion of the hydrochloric acid which has Frankenstein effect on the stomach wall causing inflammation and ulceration later on.
* Stress causes a similar reaction too.
* Some people have a reflux of acid resulting in this.
* Unusual food poisoning.
* Certain bacterial, viral and parasitic infections and certain drugs can induce the same too.
A patient usually visits a Physician with an
* Abdominal pain
* Belching after eating and long after eating
* Sour water coming into the mouth
* Fullness of eating in the stomach, long after eating
* Nausea and vomiting on some occasions
* Feeling of bloating all the time
A patient with gastritis could worsen his problem if s/he were to consume alcohol, spicy foods, fatty or fried foods, coffee, garlic, chilli powder, peppers etc., which would irritate his/her stomach. Inflammation in the stomach would be a little better if one were to consume coconut water, fresh fruits, broccoli, yoghurt, etc.
Homoeopathic medicine has good remedies to soothe the first part of the active gastrointestinal tract. If a person used to stimulants is under its stress, Nux vomica, Carbo veg, Ac sulph, would help; if anxiety and stress are the cause, Arg nit, Lycopodium, Graphites would do good; slowness of digestion is helped by China and Ferrum met and increased acid production being the cause, is neutralised by Natrum phos and Ars alb.
For stomach being cool and distressed, homoeopathic medicine is the best coolant!