Urea within six hours of call, assures Niranjan Reddy

As many as 9.12 lakh metric tonnes of urea has been made available so far during the present Vanakalam season and the Central government is yet to supply more than one lakh metric tonnes

By   |  Published: 16th Sep 2020  6:33 pm
File Photo: Agriculture Minister Niranjan Reddy

Hyderabad: Agriculture Minister Singireddy Niranjan Reddy on Wednesday said urea would be supplied within six hours of receiving a call.

Refuting allegations leveled by Congress MLA D Sridhar Babu that there was shortage of urea in the State, the Minister said the MLAs can call if there was any shortage of urea in their Assembly constituencies. “Even last year, there was no shortage of urea despite a 33.06 per cent increase in area under cultivation,” he said.

As many as 9.12 lakh metric tonnes of urea has been made available so far during the present Vanakalam season and the Central government is yet to supply more than one lakh metric tonnes of urea to the State.

Chief Minister K Chandrashekhar Rao, the Minister said, had requested the Central government on several occasions to supply urea. He is also monitoring the supply every day. “I also met with the Union Agriculture Minister and requested him supply urea to the State,” the Minister said.

He urged the Congress MLA not to tarnish the image of the State government when there was some delay in supplying urea only to one or two sales points out of more than 8,000 sale points across the State. “There is no need for panic. We are taking necessary steps to supply urea on time,” the Minister assured.

Niranjan Reddy thanked the Railway officials for extending help in supplying urea to the State from Karnataka and Maharashtra despite problems due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Only 30 per cent of urea was allotted indigenously while the remaining 70 per cent was brought from Oman, China and Russia.

“Even after facing severe shortage of skilled labour at the ports and stock points in loading and unloading of urea because of Covid, we managed to supply urea on time,” the Minister said. Telangana was the only State that gave exemption to ensure supply of agricultural products effectively during lockdown and the same was implemented by the Centre across the country.

To another question, Niranjan Reddy said Rythu Vedikas would be inaugurated during Dasara festival and added that 2,610 Rythu Vedikas would come up each covering 5,000 acres. Under the Rythu Bandhu scheme, the State government has so far disbursed Rs.29,799.16 crore in the last five phases.

A sum of Rs.7,279.02 crore was deposited in the accounts of 57.90 lakh farmers during this monsoon season and Rs.2,917.39 crore was disbursed under Rythu Bima scheme in the last three years, the Minister added.


Now you can get hand picked stories from Telangana Today on Telegram everyday. Click the link to subscribe.

Click to follow Telangana Today Facebook page and Twitter .