Siddipet: A young farmer couple was electrocuted in their agriculture field at Chowdaripally village of Wargal mandal in Siddipet district on Sunday morning.
The victims were identified as Manuka Revathi (25) and her husband Venkatesh (28). The couple is survived by two children – a son and a daughter, both aged under five.
According to Mahesh, who was working in a neighbouring farm when the incident occurred, the farmer couple came to their field early on Sunday morning to harvest the maize crop. After completing the work, Mahesh said Revathi stepped down into a water sump located close to agriculture borewell to fetch some water to wash her hands.
After seeing his wife struggling in the sump, Venkatesh also got into the sump. On hearing Venkatesh’s screams, Mahesh rushed to the spot only to see the lifeless bodies of the young couple.
Mahesh immediately dialed the emergency number ‘100’ and informed the villagers, who rushed to the spot. An electric wire connected to the borewell was damaged. Since the area witnessed rain, the water acted as a conductor for the power.
When Revathi touched the water in the sump, she suffered severe electric shock and died on the spot. Unaware of the danger, Venkatesh touched his wife while trying to rescue her and met with similar fate.
Now you can get handpicked stories from Telangana Today on Telegram everyday. Click the link to subscribe.