Wednesday, Aug 19, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | World | 246 Survivors 78 Bodies Recovered From Illegal Mine In South Africa

246 survivors, 78 bodies recovered from illegal mine in South Africa

Many gold mines in South Africa that were closed over the decades due to declining production have been taken over by illegal foreign miners who reopen them in search of gold.

By IANS
Published Date - 16 January 2025, 08:57 AM
246 survivors, 78 bodies recovered from illegal mine in South Africa
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Johannesburg: A total of 246 survivors and 78 bodies have been brought to the ground over three days of rescue operation at an abandoned gold mine in South Africa, the police said.

In a statement issued at 8:00 p.m. Wednesday, the South African Police Service (SAPS) said that 246 illegal miners had been retrieved alive from underground and had been arrested since the rescue operation commenced on Monday at the Stilfontein mine in the North West Province. The number of bodies recovered stood at 78, the same as the previous update released at 4:00 p.m., Xinhua news agency reported.


“We cannot say for sure that the operation has been called off at this stage,” SAPS national spokesperson Athlenda Mathe told Xinhua.

She made the remarks after volunteers involved in the rescue operation told the media that there were no more survivors or bodies underground.

Mathe said the Mine Rescue Service, which has been responsible for the operation in Stilfontein, would send a cage underground on Thursday morning “to see if any illegal miners resurface with the cage.”

“We will rely on the Mine Rescue Service to confirm this with their state-of-the-art equipment. That will hopefully be able to give us a picture of what is happening underground,” she clarified. “We have indicated that as the SAPS, we have to verify this.”

The spokesperson added that the police would provide further updates on the rescue operation later on Thursday.

The situation at the disused mine shafts in Stilfontein has been developing since August 2024, when small groups of illegal miners began emerging from the shafts. Since then, at least 1,576 illegal miners have come to the surface and been arrested, with the majority of them being foreign nationals from neighbouring countries, according to earlier police statements.

Many gold mines in South Africa that were closed over the decades due to declining production have been taken over by illegal foreign miners who reopen them in search of gold.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • South Africa
  • South African Police Service
  • world
  • World News

Related News

  • Pakistan SC orders shifting of Imran Khan to private hospital for medical checkup

    Pakistan SC orders shifting of Imran Khan to private hospital for medical checkup

  • Trump says US will claim Strait of Hormuz after defeating Iran

    Trump says US will claim Strait of Hormuz after defeating Iran

  • Chinese Long March 7A rocket explodes after launch, destroys satellite

    Chinese Long March 7A rocket explodes after launch, destroys satellite

  • Australia’s H5N1 bird flu cases cross 200-mark

    Australia’s H5N1 bird flu cases cross 200-mark

Latest News

  • PV Sindhu reveals Virat Kohli advice that changed her perspective during tough phase

    2 minutes ago
  • Samantha Ruth Prabhu shares holiday moments with husband Raj Nidimoru

    7 minutes ago
  • Chhattisgarh: Minor raped by father; fake papers used to facilitate delivery, sell her baby; 8 held

    9 minutes ago
  • TIMS legacy row: BRS highlights project timeline as Sanathnagar campus opens

    14 minutes ago
  • Actor Nidhi Agarwal appears before ED in betting app money laundering probe

    17 minutes ago
  • EAM Jaishankar, Singapore FM Balakrishnan discuss ways to deepen strategic ties

    24 minutes ago
  • Telangana CEO releases draft electoral roll after SIR enumeration

    19 minutes ago
  • India’s makhana market likely to reach nearly Rs 12,000 crore by 2029-30

    37 minutes ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam