Wednesday, Aug 19, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | World | 751 Graves Found Near Former Canadian Indigenous Residential School

751 graves found near former Canadian indigenous residential school

The school named Marieval Indian Residential School operated from 1899 to 1997 in the area where Cowessess is now located, about 140 km east of Regina, the capital city of Saskatchewan province

By IANS
Published Date - 25 June 2021, 05:08 PM
751 graves found near former Canadian indigenous residential school
people from the Mosakahiken Cree Nation hug in front of a makeshift memorial at the former Kamloops Indian Residential School to honor the 215 children whose remains have been discovered buried near the facility. Photo: AP
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Ottawa: The Cowessess First Nation in Saskatchewan, Canada, has announced a preliminary discovery of 751 unmarked graves at a cemetery near a former indigenous residential school.

The school named Marieval Indian Residential School operated from 1899 to 1997 in the area where Cowessess is now located, about 140 km east of Regina, the capital city of Saskatchewan province, reports Xinhua news agency.


Cowessess Chief Cadmus Delorme told a virtual news conference on Thursday that technical teams started using ground-penetrating radar early this month to locate unmarked graves in an area of 44,000 square metres, reports Xinhua news agency.

Delorme said it was not immediately clear if all of the unmarked graves belonged to children.

He noted that there may have at one point been markers for the graves, saying the Roman Catholic church, which oversaw the cemetery, may have removed markers at some point in the 1960s.

He said technical teams were unable to confirm if there were more remains but said there were 751 “recorded hits” at the site and noted there could be more than one set of remains at each “hit”.

Delorme said the technical teams will be able to provide a verified number in the coming weeks and his community wants to put names to the people in the graves in the coming months and will treat the site “like a crime scene”.

Canada’s Federation of Sovereign Indigenous Nations (FSIN) Chief Bobby Cameron said on Thursday that what happened was a “crime against humanity” and that the findings were just the start in terms of finding unmarked graves in Saskatchewan province.

“There are thousands of families across our Treaty territories that have been waiting for their children to come home. Saskatchewan had the highest number of residential schools and highest number of survivors.”

He said FSIN will work to get every site in Saskatchewan — schools, sanatoriums and other such locations — searched and victims in those locations identified.

Last month, the Tk’emlups te Secwepemc First Nation in British Columbia announced the discovery of a burial site near the former Kamloops Indian Residential School that preliminary findings indicate contains the remains of 215 children.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Canada
  • Cowessess First Nation
  • indigenous residential school
  • Ottawa

Related News

  • Man arrested months after killing Indian-origin Himanshi Khurana in Canada’s Toronto

    Man arrested months after killing Indian-origin Himanshi Khurana in Canada’s Toronto

  • India aware of delays in Canada visa processing for retired officials: Centre

    India aware of delays in Canada visa processing for retired officials: Centre

  • Wildfire destroys about 230 homes in western Canadian Indigenous community, officials say

    Wildfire destroys about 230 homes in western Canadian Indigenous community, officials say

  • India notes RCMP finding of no evidence against govt in Nijjar murder

    India notes RCMP finding of no evidence against govt in Nijjar murder

Latest News

  • Dhanush Srikanth nominated for prestigious Arjuna Award

    1 minute ago
  • Goa moves SC seeking life term for Tarun Tejpal in sexual assault case

    6 minutes ago
  • Nearly 100 crore Indian electors issued special voter ID cards: ECI

    27 minutes ago
  • Woman killed after speeding car hits her in Madhapur

    28 minutes ago
  • Three sentenced to life for KPHB murder in 2010

    37 minutes ago
  • Photographer shot dead, associate injured in road rage firing in Ludhiana

    44 minutes ago
  • Trisha’s VIP treatment at I-Day event draws Murasoli’s criticism of Vijay

    56 minutes ago
  • Yash Satwalekar, Vignesh Reddy hit centuries in A-Division league

    1 hour ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam