Friday, Aug 21, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | News | After Being Axed From Squad Devastated Mcsweeney Vows To Work Hard

After being axed from squad, ‘devastated’ McSweeney vows to work hard

The Rookie Australian opener was dropped by national selectors, who handed a maiden call-up to teenage sensation Sam Kontas

By PTI
Published Date - 21 December 2024, 10:28 AM
After being axed from squad, ‘devastated’ McSweeney vows to work hard
Nathan McSweeney
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Melbourne: Rookie Australia opener Nathan McSweeney admitted feeling “devastated” after being dropped for the last two Tests of the Border-Gavaskar Trophy against India but vowed to work hard to reclaim his spot in the national team.

McSweeney was on Friday dropped by the national selectors, who handed a maiden call-up to teenage sensation Sam Kontas. “Yeah, I mean devastated, I get the dream come true and then didn’t quite work the way I wanted,” McSweeney told Channel 7.

Also Read

  • Australia ropes in teenage sensation Konstas for Boxing Day Test

“But it’s all part of it, and I’ll get my head down and get back in the nets and work really hard and hopefully be ready to go for the next opportunity.” The 25-year-old, who made his Test debut in the series-opener in Perth, struggled at the top with scores of 10, 0, 39, 10 not out, 9, and 4 in his six innings. He was dismissed by Indian pacer Jasprit Bumrah four times during the series.

“It’s the game we’re in. If you don’t take an opportunity and you’re not performing as well as you want to, your position’s never safe,” McSweeney said. “So I missed out a few times with the bat and unfortunately wasn’t able to take my opportunity, but as I said, I’ll work really hard to make sure that if the opportunity comes around again, I’m definitely ready.” Australia’s chairman of selectors George Bailey acknowledged the decision was “hard” and said it had been “deliberated a lot.”

However, former skipper Michael Clarke felt the move to drop McSweeney could potentially “end his career.” McSweeney, primarily a middle-order batter, had opened for Australia A against India A before the squad for the first Test was announced. Despite his lack of experience as an opener, he had shown promise in Adelaide’s first innings, negotiating challenging conditions alongside Marnus Labuschagne.

Australia great Mike Hussey sympathised with McSweeney, calling the decision “tough.” “I really feel for McSweeney. I think it’s tough on him. Tough call,” Hussey said on Fox Cricket.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Australia
  • BGT 2024
  • India
  • Nathan McSweeney

Related News

  • India, Japan explore joint naval shipbuilding, design

    India, Japan explore joint naval shipbuilding, design

  • ICC overturns Lahore’s Gaddafi Stadium demerit point after pitch rating appeal

    ICC overturns Lahore’s Gaddafi Stadium demerit point after pitch rating appeal

  • EAM Jaishankar, Singapore FM Balakrishnan discuss ways to deepen strategic ties

    EAM Jaishankar, Singapore FM Balakrishnan discuss ways to deepen strategic ties

  • India’s makhana market likely to reach nearly Rs 12,000 crore by 2029-30

    India’s makhana market likely to reach nearly Rs 12,000 crore by 2029-30

Latest News

  • Charter plane carrying eight crashes in western Alaska

    9 minutes ago
  • NTA defends Rs 200 answer key challenge fee, says it benefits all candidates

    7 hours ago
  • Magnitude 6.7 earthquake strikes southern Peru; no damage reported

    7 hours ago
  • Iran accuses US of ‘economic war’ as Trump threatens tougher sanctions

    8 hours ago
  • Opinion: Section 22-A and Right to Property

    9 hours ago
  • Houthis claim drone attacks on Saudi airport, Aramco facility

    8 hours ago
  • Editorial: Trump’s tariff tantrums fail to dent India’s exports

    9 hours ago
  • India U-20 held to 0-0 draw by Yemen in friendly

    9 hours ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam