Friday, Aug 21, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | India | Amarnath Yatra Sees 10 Per Cent Drop In Registration After Pahalgam Terror Attack

Amarnath Yatra sees 10 per cent drop in registration after Pahalgam terror attack

With renewed security measures and reverification underway, officials hope for a recovery before the pilgrimage begins on July 3

By PTI
Published Date - 26 June 2025, 04:28 PM
Amarnath Yatra sees 10 per cent drop in registration after Pahalgam terror attack
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha said on Thursday said there has been a drop of over 10 per cent in pilgrim registration for this year’s Amarnath Yatra in the wake of the Pahalgam terror attack.

“The pilgrim registration before the April 22 incident was going on at a good pace, but after that, the registrations decreased. There was a drop of 10.19 per cent in registration compared to last year,” Sinha told reporters at Raj Bhavan here.


The LG said around 2.36 lakh pilgrims had registered for the yatra before the attack took place at Baisaran in the Pahalgam area that left 26 persons — mostly tourists — dead.

“The confidence among the pilgrims is returning due to the steps taken by the Jammu and Kashmir Administration and the security forces, which have resulted in the registrations picking up again,” he added.

Sinha said the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB) has launched a process of seeking reverification from the pilgrims who had registered for the yatra before April 22.

“So far, 85000 pilgrims have reconfirmed their registration. We are hoping that the registrations will pick up in the coming days,” he said. Asked if the terror attack had affected the Amarnath Yatra this year, Sinha said it had affected the entire Jammu and Kashmir, particularly the valley.

The LG said adequate security arrangements have been put in place for the pilgrimage, which will start from July 3 and end on August 9. “There is a three-tier security at the base camps while security forces are carrying out area domination and mock drills to meet any eventuality.

More police officials and CAPF personnel have been deployed while verification of all service providers has been completed,” he added. The LG said he wanted to assure everyone that good security arrangements have been made not only for pilgrims and tourists visiting Kashmir but the local populace.

Sinha said that while the pilgrims are welcome to travel by their private vehicles, they are requested to move along with the yatra convoy from Bhagwati Nagar base camp for better security.

He said for the comfort of the pilgrims, various steps have been taken over the past three years, which includes widening of the track from four feet to 12 feet.”The vulnerable spots have been secured by barriers…. the narrow tracks were a major cause of discomfort for the pilgrims,” he said.

The LG said the track is now motorable, right up to the holy cave, but it would be used only in cases of emergency. “The pilgrimage will go on as usual as in the past,” he added.

Sinha said the feedback of the pilgrims has been positive and the steps taken by the administration and shrine board have been appreciated. On the suspension of heliservices during the Amarnath yatra this year, Sinha said the decision was taken in view of various factors, including the recent mishaps in other states and security concerns.

“Moreover, only eight per cent of pilgrims were using helicopter services for darshan,” he said.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Amarnath pilgrimage
  • India News
  • Jammu and Kashmir
  • Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha

Related News

  • Delhi HC seeks Centre’s response on plea to remove videos targeting Sai Baba

    Delhi HC seeks Centre’s response on plea to remove videos targeting Sai Baba

  • In a first, Vande Bharat train operates at 100 kmph on world’s highest railway bridge

    In a first, Vande Bharat train operates at 100 kmph on world’s highest railway bridge

  • Pakistan protests US envoy’s remarks on Jammu and Kashmir

    Pakistan protests US envoy’s remarks on Jammu and Kashmir

  • US Ambassador Sergio Gor calls J&K ‘important part of India’

    US Ambassador Sergio Gor calls J&K ‘important part of India’

Latest News

  • NTA defends Rs 200 answer key challenge fee, says it benefits all candidates

    7 hours ago
  • Magnitude 6.7 earthquake strikes southern Peru; no damage reported

    7 hours ago
  • Iran accuses US of ‘economic war’ as Trump threatens tougher sanctions

    7 hours ago
  • Opinion: Section 22-A and Right to Property

    8 hours ago
  • Houthis claim drone attacks on Saudi airport, Aramco facility

    7 hours ago
  • Editorial: Trump’s tariff tantrums fail to dent India’s exports

    9 hours ago
  • India U-20 held to 0-0 draw by Yemen in friendly

    8 hours ago
  • East Bengal women smash 12-0 record win in AFC Women’s Champions League

    8 hours ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam