Tuesday, Aug 18, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | World | China Forced Covid 19 Origins Probe To Drop Lab Leak Theory Who

China forced Covid-19 origins probe to drop lab-leak theory: WHO

Peter Ben Embarek said the Chinese researchers were against the theory that Covid-19 pandemic emerged from a genetically modified virus which leaked from the infamous Wuhan Institute of Virology

By IANS
Published Date - 13 August 2021, 02:58 PM
China forced Covid-19 origins probe to drop lab-leak theory: WHO
Photo: AP
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Washington: Chinese researchers at the World Health Organization-led team probing the origins of the coronavirus pandemic pushed against the lab-leak theory, said a WHO scientist, who led the group, in a Danish documentary.

In the documentary, titled “The Virus Mystery”, Peter Ben Embarek said the Chinese researchers were against the theory that Covid-19 pandemic emerged from a genetically modified virus which leaked from the infamous Wuhan Institute of Virology (WIV), the Washington Post reported.


“In the beginning, they didn’t want anything about the lab (in the report), because it was impossible, so there was no need to waste time on that,” the Post quoted Embarek as saying during the interview.

“We insisted on including it, because it was part of the whole issue about where the virus originated,” he added.

A team of experts from the WHO, led by Embarek spent four weeks in China, in January, to investigate whether Covid-19 is the result of a lab-leak. Their report, in March, concluded that a laboratory leak was “extremely unlikely”.

According to Embarek, the Chinese researchers agreed to include the lab-leak theory in the report “on the condition we didn’t recommend any specific studies to further that hypothesis”.

Moreover, Embarek noted that the term “extremely unlikely” about the lab-leak in the report “was the category we chose to put it in at the enda, which meant it was not impossible, just not likely, the Post reported. He hinted at the possibility of a “human error”.

“A lab employee infected in the field while collecting samples in a bat cave, such a scenario belongs both as a lab-leak hypothesis and as our first hypothesis of direct infection from bat to human. We’ve seen that hypothesis as a likely hypothesis,” Embarek said.

Undermining its report, the WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, last month, stated that it was premature on the global health body’s part to rule out a potential link between the Covid pandemic and a laboratory leak.

He asked China to be more transparent on the issue of data sharing, and also proposed a second phase of studies which China rejected, accusing the WHO of “arrogance” and a “disrespect for common sense”.

Embarek did not respond to follow-up questions by the Post and stated that the interview had been mistranslated in English-language media coverage.

WHO spokesman Tarik Jasarevic also said that the comment was mistranslated and that the interview took place “months ago”, the Post reported.

The documentary was scheduled to air on TV2 on Thursday evening.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Chinese researchers
  • Peter Ben Embarek
  • The Virus Mystery
  • WHO

Related News

  • Congo’s Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest on record, kills over 2,300

    Congo’s Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest on record, kills over 2,300

  • Congo’s Ebola outbreak began months before official declaration: WHO

    Congo’s Ebola outbreak began months before official declaration: WHO

  • WHO classifies three widely used medicines, including a common BP drug, as Group 1 carcinogens

    WHO classifies three widely used medicines, including a common BP drug, as Group 1 carcinogens

  • Congo Ebola death toll crosses 1,700 in fastest-growing outbreak

    Congo Ebola death toll crosses 1,700 in fastest-growing outbreak

Latest News

  • India, Israel expect two more rounds of FTA talks, says ambassador

    14 minutes ago
  • AP Police launch hunt for shooting academy coach after family suicide

    29 minutes ago
  • Uttam Kumar Reddy directs cautious water release for irrigation

    34 minutes ago
  • KBR Park one-way traffic system triggers confusion, snarls in Hyderabad

    34 minutes ago
  • TGSRTC revises bus routes around KBR Park amid traffic curbs

    44 minutes ago
  • Delhi HC allows JNU to continue postgraduate admissions amid deprivation points challenge

    44 minutes ago
  • Maanaveeya Development and Finance donates EVs to Hyderabad zoo

    48 minutes ago
  • Veeranari Chakali Ilamma Women’s University faces financial crisis

    54 minutes ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam