Tuesday, Aug 18, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | News | Delhi Hc Allows Jnu To Continue Postgraduate Admissions Amid Deprivation Points Challenge

Delhi HC allows JNU to continue postgraduate admissions amid deprivation points challenge

The Delhi High Court on Tuesday allowed JNU to continue postgraduate admissions while modifying an earlier order that halted the process over deprivation points. The court said admissions will remain subject to the outcome of a petition challenging the admission criteria

By PTI
Published Date - 18 August 2026, 08:00 PM
Delhi HC allows JNU to continue postgraduate admissions amid deprivation points challenge
Delhi HC allows JNU to continue postgraduate admissions amid deprivation points challenge
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Tuesday permitted the Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) to continue with the admission process for its postgraduate courses, which was earlier halted by a single-judge bench over a challenge to the award of “deprivation points” to certain candidates. “Deprivation points” are awarded to candidates coming from certain backward geographical locations. A bench of Chief Justice D K Upadhyaya and Justice Tejas Karia modified the single judge’s order, and stated that the admissions would be subject to the outcome of the challenge.

On August 14, the single judge halted admissions based on “deprivation points” following a petition by Amit Mehra, who aspired to be admitted to a post-graduate course in the university. The single judge had ordered that the admissions shall not be finalized and no further steps would be taken in this regard till August 24.


Dealing with JNU’s appeal against the order, the division bench observed that the practice of awarding “deprivation points” has been present since 1974 and the entire admission process had been “put to a halt” due to the single judge’s direction. The court noted that the e-prospectus for academic year 2026-2027 was issued on April 3 and the admission process began was May 25.

Classes for postgraduate students who took admission pursuant to the first round of counselling also began on July 30, the court observed, as it remarked that the petition against ‘deprivation points’ should not have been filed at the last minute, but before the admission process started. It also questioned how an interim stay could be sustained in the absence of a prima facie finding in favour of such a relief. “Unless some prima facie finding is recorded that for this reason the practice of grant of deprivation points is illegal, how can admission process be stalled?,” the court asked.

“The University shall carry on with the admission process as per the provisions in the e-prospectus, including the provisions which are under challenge before the single judge. However, any admission hence made will be subject to the outcome of the writ petition,” it ordered. The court asked the single judge to decide the petition as early as possible.

Mehra, who filed the petition before the single judge, defended the August 14 order and argued that “deprivations points” make the score obtained by a candidate in the CUET nugatory.
JNU’s counsel submitted that the single-judge’s order has brought the ongoing admission process to a standstill. He said one of the objectives in the JNU Act is to ensure representation of teachers and students from across the country, and the system of deprivation points was designed in furtherance of this goal.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • CUET
  • D K Upadhyaya
  • Delhi High Court
  • deprivation points

Related News

  • Life sentence cannot become retributive death by incarceration: Delhi HC releases rape convict

    Life sentence cannot become retributive death by incarceration: Delhi HC releases rape convict

  • Delhi HC to hear ED plea challenging Kejriwal’s bail in excise policy case

    Delhi HC to hear ED plea challenging Kejriwal’s bail in excise policy case

  • Delhi HC flags crores-worth medical equipment lying unused in govt hospitals

    Delhi HC flags crores-worth medical equipment lying unused in govt hospitals

  • Delhi High Court questions Jantar Mantar as protest venue, asks police to decide plea

    Delhi High Court questions Jantar Mantar as protest venue, asks police to decide plea

Latest News

  • TGSRTC revises bus routes around KBR Park amid traffic curbs

    8 seconds ago
  • Delhi HC allows JNU to continue postgraduate admissions amid deprivation points challenge

    13 seconds ago
  • Maanaveeya Development and Finance donates EVs to Hyderabad zoo

    4 minutes ago
  • Veeranari Chakali Ilamma Women’s University faces financial crisis

    10 minutes ago
  • Meta shows greater sensitivity to CSAM after Centre’s intervention: Sources

    14 minutes ago
  • Two rice millers arrested for defaulting on CMR worth Rs 24.18 crore in Peddapalli

    18 minutes ago
  • 46 Manipur militants, including four women cadres, surrender with 20 weapons

    31 minutes ago
  • CJP accuses Centre of delaying action on FIR withdrawal

    36 minutes ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam