Tuesday, Aug 18, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | India | Delhi Hc Seeks Centres Reply On Telegram Ban

Delhi HC seeks Centre’s reply on Telegram ban

The Delhi High Court has asked the Centre to respond to Telegram’s plea challenging the government’s temporary restriction of the messaging app ahead of the June 21 NEET-UG 2026 re-examination. The Centre defended its action, citing misuse of the platform by cheating rackets.

By PTI
Published Date - 17 June 2026, 10:14 PM
Delhi HC seeks Centre’s reply on Telegram ban
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Wednesday asked the Centre to file its reply on Telegram’s plea against its order temporarily restricting access to the messaging app ahead of the June 21 NEET-UG 2026 re-examination.

As the matter came up before a vacation bench of Justice Tejas Karia, Telegram’s counsel claimed the curbs were illegal, but Solicitor General (SG) Tushar Mehta defended the government action, saying the platform was being misused and he would reveal “something shocking” on Thursday.


The court adjourned the hearing to Thursday and issued notice to the Centre.

During the hearing, Telegram’s counsel questioned the legality of the government order blocking the platform. He said that over 150 million users had been affected by the Centre’s action on Tuesday.
SG Mehta sought an adjournment, saying that he had not put several things on record.

“If the court posts the matter tomorrow, then there is something shocking I can show…One channel starts, it is prohibited, and then another is started. And with a QR code, you can make a payment. This is continuous,” he said.

“This has not happened overnight. We have been dealing with complaints since May. I don’t wish to go beyond this. This platform is being misused, and imagine the situation which may arise,” Mehta added.

The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY), acting on recommendations of the National Testing Agency (NTA), issued a direction under Section 69A of the Information Technology Act, 2000, restricting access to the Telegram platform in India till June 22, covering the day of the NEET (UG) 2026 re-examination and its immediate aftermath.

A separate direction requires Telegram to disable in India the message-editing feature for already-posted messages till June 30, 2026, addressing the specific structural feature through which the platform has been used to fabricate after-the-event “paper leak” evidence in respect of national examinations, according to an NTA statement.

“Both measures have been taken in the interest of public order, in response to the organised use of the platform by cheating rackets to defraud candidates appearing for the NEET (UG) 2026 re-examination scheduled on 21 June 2026,” the NTA said on Tuesday.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Delhi High Court
  • MeitY
  • NEET-UG 2026 re-examination
  • Telegram ban

Related News

  • Delhi HC allows JNU to continue postgraduate admissions amid deprivation points challenge

    Delhi HC allows JNU to continue postgraduate admissions amid deprivation points challenge

  • US tech giant Meta steps up CSAM curbs in India

    US tech giant Meta steps up CSAM curbs in India

  • Life sentence cannot become retributive death by incarceration: Delhi HC releases rape convict

    Life sentence cannot become retributive death by incarceration: Delhi HC releases rape convict

  • Delhi HC to hear ED plea challenging Kejriwal’s bail in excise policy case

    Delhi HC to hear ED plea challenging Kejriwal’s bail in excise policy case

Latest News

  • BRS leaders demand removal of Malkajgiri lands from 22A list

    3 minutes ago
  • Bombay HC suspends life sentence of Dabholkar murder convict Sachin Andure, grants bail

    14 minutes ago
  • Five cobras rescued in Hyderabad during Naga Panchami

    15 minutes ago
  • Farmers pushed to their limits in for irrigation water in Khammam

    30 minutes ago
  • Eight AP fishermen missing at sea since August 3, search operation underway

    31 minutes ago
  • KTR condemns removal of Peddi Sudarshan Reddy’s statue, calls it barbaric

    37 minutes ago
  • Satyendar Jain arrested at BJP’s behest, case will be proved fake: Kejriwal

    42 minutes ago
  • Telangana Employees Plan Protests on August 27, Mahadharna on September 10

    51 minutes ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam