Tuesday, Aug 18, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | News | Djokovic Nadal Slam Wimbledon Ban On Russian Players

Djokovic, Nadal slam Wimbledon ban on Russian players

Madrid: Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic criticised Wimbledon’s decision to exclude players from Russia and Belarus from taking part in this year’s tournament following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. The two tennis greats said on Sunday that Wimbledon had acted unfairly. “I think it’s very unfair of (on) my Russian tennis mates, my colleagues … it’s […]

By AP
Published Date - 2 May 2022, 08:48 PM
Djokovic, Nadal slam Wimbledon ban on Russian players
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Madrid: Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic criticised Wimbledon’s decision to exclude players from Russia and Belarus from taking part in this year’s tournament following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

The two tennis greats said on Sunday that Wimbledon had acted unfairly. “I think it’s very unfair of (on) my Russian tennis mates, my colleagues … it’s not their fault what’s happening in this moment with the war,” Nadal, a 21-time Grand Slam winner, said in Spain where both he and Djokovic are preparing to play in the Madrid Open.


“I’m sorry for them,” Nadal said. “Wimbledon just took their decision … the government didn’t force them to do it.” Nadal added: “Let’s see what happens in the next weeks, if the players will take some kind of decision in that regard.”

The ATP and WTA tennis tours have both publicly criticised the All England Club’s decision which was announced April 20. Wimbledon starts on June 27. The prominent players affected by the ban include reigning US Open champion Daniil Medvedev, Andrey Rublev, and French Open runner-up Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova, who are all from Russia.

Victoria Azarenka of Belarus, which has aided Russian forces, would also be unable to play. Djokovic compared the situation of the excluded players to what he went through in January when he was unable to play the Australian Open. He was deported from Australia for not being vaccinated against Covid-19.

“It’s not the same thing, but going through something similar earlier this year for myself, it’s frustrating knowing that you’re not able to play,” Djokovic said. “I still stand by my position that I don’t support the (Wimbledon) decision. I think it’s just not fair, it’s not right, but it is what it is.”

The All England Club had justified its action in a statement first posted on Twitter. “In the circumstances of such unjustified and unprecedented military aggression, it would be unacceptable for the Russian regime to derive any benefits from the involvement of Russian or Belarusian players with The Championships,” the statement said.


Now you can get handpicked stories from Telangana Today on Telegram everyday. Click the link to subscribe.

Click to follow Telangana Today Facebook page and Twitter .


  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Novak Djokovic
  • Rafael Nadal
  • Russia
  • Wimbledon

Related News

  • Novak Djokovic ousted from Cincinnati Open in his first match since Wimbledon

    Novak Djokovic ousted from Cincinnati Open in his first match since Wimbledon

  • India faces tariff risk as US Senate passes Russia sanctions bill

    India faces tariff risk as US Senate passes Russia sanctions bill

  • Russian missile and drone barrage in Ukrainian capital region kills 15

    Russian missile and drone barrage in Ukrainian capital region kills 15

  • Around two dozen Indians still serving in Russian Army, says Centre

    Around two dozen Indians still serving in Russian Army, says Centre

Latest News

  • I was a huge fan of Harbhajan, says Ashwin

    20 minutes ago
  • History-sheeters’ infiltrated July 20 protest, 240 cops injured: Delhi Police tells SC

    23 minutes ago
  • The Playscape Brings Purposeful Play to Hyderabad’s Kids

    36 minutes ago
  • Divya, Tejaswin, Gayatri Gopichand named for Arjuna Awards

    59 minutes ago
  • Tarapith hotel fire: Police search for main hotel owner absconding since mishap

    1 hour ago
  • Rain disrupts coal production at SCCL mines

    1 hour ago
  • K-Circle to host annual school quiz on August 22

    1 hour ago
  • Student kills schoolmate, himself in livestreamed Philippine school attack, official says

    1 hour ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam