Employees oppose blame game over Telangana’s 22-A land list controversy
Employee associations have objected to Ministers blaming officials for Telangana’s Category 22-A land list controversy. They questioned how the issue surfaced across districts and sought accountability for administrative decisions, after Ministers admitted errors and promised an inquiry into prohibited properties.
Updated On - 20 August 2026, 10:31 PM
Hyderabad: Repeated statements by a few ministers blaming employees and officials for the controversy surrounding prohibited Category 22-A, have not gone down well with employee associations.
Several land and property owners have raised concerns over their assets being included in the prohibited category under Section 22-A. Revenue Minister Ponguleti Srinivas Reddy admitted the error and apologised to those affected.
He said all District Collectors had continued to use old copies of the prohibited land lists. “This is definitely a mistake by our officials. I admit a few people faced hardships and I apologise to them,” he said at a press conference on Monday.
Adding fuel to the ongoing row, Roads and Buildings Minister Komatireddy Venkat Reddy on Tuesday said officials who played key roles during the previous government’s tenure might have been involved in including properties under Section 22-A. “I suspect there is a conspiracy to tarnish the government’s reputation. We will conduct a comprehensive inquiry into the 22-A list,” Venkat Reddy said.
The Minister further claimed that he had informed Chief Minister A Revanth Reddy four months ago that 42,000 acres in Yadagirigutta had been placed on the prohibited list. The Ministers’ comments have left employees and officials disappointed. Many feel it is unfair to blame employees for the government’s policies or administrative decisions.
The 22-A controversy was not limited to a particular division, constituency or district. People from different places complained about the issue and were running from pillar to post to get their properties denotified from the prohibited category. “Employees act as per the government’s instructions. No employee or official will do any work that could cost him his job,” a Telangana Employees Sangham member said.
Employees are also questioning how the issue could have surfaced across different districts if it was a deliberate act by a few employees or officials. Referring to the R&B Minister’s claim that he had alerted the Chief Minister four months ago, many are also questioning what remedial measures were initiated by the government.
In fact, Revenue Department employees said the Stamps and Registration Department had sought information last October about lands and properties involved in court cases and other issues. “These details were sought in a specific proforma and submitted accordingly. If issues are surfacing now, how can the employees and officials be blamed? This reflects the government’s command over administration,” the Telangana Employees Sangham member added.