Saturday, Aug 22, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | World | Hong Kongs Fire Death Toll Rises To 55 Over 200 Remain Missing

Hong Kong’s fire death toll rises to 55, over 200 remain missing

A huge fire swept through Hong Kong’s Wang Fuk Court, killing 55 people and injuring many others. Over 200 remain missing. The blaze spread quickly due to renovation materials, and rescue teams are still working to control the fire and find survivors

By IANS
Published Date - 27 November 2025, 03:40 PM
Hong Kong’s fire death toll rises to 55, over 200 remain missing
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Hong Kong: The death toll in a major fire that tore through a residential area in Hong Kong from Wednesday afternoon has risen to 55, said the Fire Services Department (FSD) in a press briefing on Thursday.

The FSD said 72 people injured in the fire had been sent to hospitals for treatment, including eight firefighters. Over 200 people are still missing.


The FSD has dispatched a total of 304 fire engines and rescue vehicles, and used drones to monitor heat levels to prevent rekindling. The department has extinguished flames in four of the affected buildings and brought fire under control in the other three, Xinhua News Agency reported.

The residential area Wang Fuk Court consists of eight buildings, all of which were encased by green mesh and scaffolding due to a major renovation project. Three men responsible for the renovations were arrested earlier for suspected manslaughter, as the police investigation pointed to flammable materials covering the buildings as a possible cause for the rapid spread of fire.

Earlier, Hong Kong Chief Executive John Lee said in the small hours on Thursday that the fire at Wang Fuk Court had been gradually brought under control after firefighters’ tireless efforts.

Speaking at a press briefing, Lee mentioned that around 279 people are still missing. Twenty-nine remained hospitalised, including seven in critical condition. Lee said he was deeply saddened by the situation.

He said that from the outside, three buildings now showed no visible flames, while four others displayed only sporadic fire spots. Lee stressed that the government will mobilise all resources to fully support the rescue operations. He has instructed departments and units to carry out comprehensive work, including extinguishing the fire, rescuing trapped residents, treating the injured, providing assistance and emotional support to families, and conducting a full investigation into the accident.

The Fire Services Department was notified of the accident at around 2:51 pm local time on Wednesday. Due to the fierce blaze, the department raised the alert to a No. 5 alarm fire at 6:22 pm local time. Rescue operations were still ongoing.

The Education Bureau dispatched educational psychologists and related staff to temporary shelters to provide appropriate support for affected students. Several schools in the district will suspend classes on Thursday.

At one of the temporary shelters, personnel from the Home Affairs Department, Civil Aid Service, Care Teams, and the Police Force worked together, each fulfilling their roles and coordinating efforts.

Lam Yick Kuen, a Tai Po Care Team member and district councillor, said that many organisations and individuals had voluntarily donated supplies, demonstrating solidarity and mutual care in times of crisis.

Near midnight, a Hong Kong resident, Ho, was seen pulling a small cart to the fire scene to distribute water to firefighters and staff. Drenched in sweat, he went around asking whether anyone needed a drink.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Fire accident
  • Fire Services Department (FSD)
  • Hong Kong
  • World News

Related News

  • Pakistan SC orders shifting of Imran Khan to private hospital for medical checkup

    Pakistan SC orders shifting of Imran Khan to private hospital for medical checkup

  • Trump says US will claim Strait of Hormuz after defeating Iran

    Trump says US will claim Strait of Hormuz after defeating Iran

  • Chinese Long March 7A rocket explodes after launch, destroys satellite

    Chinese Long March 7A rocket explodes after launch, destroys satellite

  • Fire breaks out in Banjara Hills building cellar, 11 rescued

    Fire breaks out in Banjara Hills building cellar, 11 rescued

Latest News

  • Praggnanandhaa takes on Keymer as Grand Chess Tour semifinals begin in St Louis

    6 minutes ago
  • Liam Scott eyes Australia return after gaining international cricket experience

    12 minutes ago
  • Delhi’s Madhuban Chowk skywalk project 60 per cent complete, opening likely by November

    19 minutes ago
  • Free Aadhaar biometric update for children till Sept 30

    20 minutes ago
  • Harish asks OILFED to start operation of refinery at Oil Palm Factory

    23 minutes ago
  • Indore school children fall ill after eating mid-day meal, food samples sent for testing

    23 minutes ago
  • MMC reviews Ganesh Chaturthi immersion arrangements in Malkajgiri

    26 minutes ago
  • Students unhappy with govt talks on YISU-polytechnic merger

    29 minutes ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam