Monday, Aug 17, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | News | Intense Fighting Reported In Ukraine As Last Nuclear Reactor Is Shut Down Amid Flooding

Intense fighting reported in Ukraine as last nuclear reactor is shut down amid flooding

Country's nuclear energy agency said it put the last operating reactor at Europe's largest nuclear power plant into a “cold shutdown” for safety

By AP
Published Date - 10 June 2023, 11:00 PM
Intense fighting reported in Ukraine as last nuclear reactor is shut down amid flooding
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Kyiv: Ukraine’s military reported intense fighting with Russian forces on Saturday, while the country’s nuclear energy agency said it put the last operating reactor at Europe’s largest nuclear power plant into a “cold shutdown” for safety as Russia’s war on Ukraine drags on through its 16th month.

After Russian forces pummelled Ukraine with missiles and drones overnight resulting in deaths and damage to a military airfield, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau arrived in Kyiv Saturday for an previously unannounced visit, his second trip to Ukraine since Russia’s invasion in February last year. He was accompanied by Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland.

Also Read

  • Drone hits residential building in southwestern Russia near border amid surge in Ukraine fighting
  • Biden, Sunak hold White House talks on daunting challenges to Ukraine, world economy

Ukraine’s General Staff said Saturday that “heavy battles” were ongoing, with 34 clashes over the previous day in the country’s industrial east. It gave no details but said Russian forces were “defending themselves” and launching air and artillery strikes in Ukraine’s southern Kherson and Zaporizhzhia regions.

Five out of six reactors at the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant, which is occupied by Russian forces, were already in a state of cold shutdown, in which all control rods are inserted into the reactor core to stop the nuclear fission reaction and generation of heat and pressure.

Energoatom, the Ukrainian nuclear agency, said in a statement late Friday that there was “no direct threat” to the Zaporizhzhia plant due to the breach of the Kakhovka dam further down the Dnieper River, which has forced thousands of people to flee flooding and also sharply reduced water levels in a reservoir used to help cool the facility.

Energoatom said it shut down the final reactor due to that, and also because of shelling near the site that has damaged overhead lines connecting the plant to Ukraine’s energy system.

With all nuclear reactions stopped, temperatures and pressure inside reactors gradually decline, reducing the required intensity of water cooling of the radioactive fuel.

This is a nuclear power plant’s safest operating mode. Energoatom employees are still working at the power plant, although it remains controlled by the Russians.

The site’s power units have not been operating since September last year. The head of the International Atomic Energy Agency is due to visit Ukraine in the coming days.

Analysts and Russia say that Ukraine has launched a counteroffensive in southern Ukraine, potentially aiming to retake territory near the plant.

Also on Saturday morning, Ukrainian authorities reported that at least four civilians have died across the country as Russian forces launched Iranian-made Shahed drones, missiles, and artillery and mortar strikes.

Ukraine’s State Emergency Service reported that three people were killed and more than two dozen wounded overnight in an attack targeting the Black Sea port of Odesa.

A spokesperson for Ukraine’s southern operational command, Natalia Humeniuk, said two children and a pregnant woman were among those wounded.

In Ukraine’s northeast, a 29-year-old man was killed as more than 10 drones targeted the Kharkiv region, its governor, Oleh Syniehubov, reported Saturday. He added that at least three other civilians were wounded.

In the Poltava region further west, there was damage to a military airfield struck overnight during a Russian drone and missile attack, local Gov. Dmytro Lunin reported. Lunin said no one was hurt. As of Saturday morning, there was no additional comment from the Ukrainian army or officials on the extent of the damage.

The Ukrainian air force said that during the night, it had shot down 20 out of 35 Shahed drones and two out of eight missiles “of various types” launched by Russian forces.

The fighting and civilian casualties took renewed attention as authorities in southern Ukraine said water levels have been declining in a vast area beneath the ruptured dam.

In the city of Kherson, whose outskirts were among the flood-hit areas, the average water level decreased by 31 centimetres during the night, but remained over 4.5 metres higher than usual, regional Gov. Oleksandr Prokudin reported Saturday.

Prokudin warned that meteorologists predicted heavy rainfall in the area over the weekend, complicating rescue efforts.

The UN’s humanitarian aid chief, Martin Griffiths, said in an Associated Press interview Friday that an “extraordinary” 700,000 people were in need of drinking water.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Kyiv
  • Russia
  • Ukraine

Related News

  • Ukraine reaches deal with US on monthly deliveries of interceptor missiles: Zelensky

    Ukraine reaches deal with US on monthly deliveries of interceptor missiles: Zelensky

  • India faces tariff risk as US Senate passes Russia sanctions bill

    India faces tariff risk as US Senate passes Russia sanctions bill

  • Russian missile and drone barrage in Ukrainian capital region kills 15

    Russian missile and drone barrage in Ukrainian capital region kills 15

  • Around two dozen Indians still serving in Russian Army, says Centre

    Around two dozen Indians still serving in Russian Army, says Centre

Latest News

  • 48-year old brick kiln worker attempts to rape 2-year old girl in Ameenpur

    3 minutes ago
  • Congo’s Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest on record, kills over 2,300

    3 minutes ago
  • Three major shooting competitions to be held in Hyderabad from August 18

    6 minutes ago
  • Man falls off from slab of his house in deep sleep, dies

    9 minutes ago
  • How 2026 World Cup, blockbuster movies are bringing old video games back

    12 minutes ago
  • KTR urges government to expedite pending TIMS projects

    16 minutes ago
  • Aaron Paul’s century, Devendar Reddy and Sri Harsha’s five-wicket hauls highlight HCA B-Division league

    23 minutes ago
  • TN CM Vijay announces full waiver of farm loans up to Rs 75,000

    23 minutes ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam