Wednesday, Aug 19, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | World | Israel Confirms It Has Eliminated Hamas Chief Yahya Sinwar

Israel confirms it has eliminated Hamas chief Yahya Sinwar

Earlier, the IDF had said it killed three terrorists during an operation, north of the Gaza Strip and was investigating the possibility that one of them was Yahya Sinwar.

By IANS
Updated On - 18 October 2024, 10:17 AM
Israel confirms it has eliminated Hamas chief Yahya Sinwar
Hamas chief Yahya Sinwar
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Jerusalem: In yet another blow to Hamas, Israel on Thursday evening confirmed that it has eliminated Yahya Sinwar — the chief planner of the horrific October 2023 attacks that killed 1200 people in Israel and resulted in over 250 being taken as hostages.

“After a long and determined pursuit that lasted an entire year, our forces have eliminated Yahya Sinwar, the leader of the Hamas terror organisation and main person responsible for the massacre and kidnapping of many Israelis. I have now met the force that eliminated him yesterday in clashes in the Gaza strip,” said Lt. Col. Herzi Halevi, the Chief of Staff of Israel Defense Forces (IDF) late Thursday evening.

Also Read

  • From Arabic studies graduate to chief architect of Oct 7 Hamas attack: All about Yahya Sinwar

Earlier, the IDF had said it killed three terrorists during an operation, north of the Gaza Strip and was investigating the possibility that one of them was Yahya Sinwar.

A few hours later, the IDF confirmed Sinwar’s elimination.

“The force acted correctly with professionalism and determination, not because it knew Sinwar was there but because our fighters operate with excellence in every encounter with terrorists, in all sectors,” said Halevi.

“The courage and determination of the IDF forces, working in all arenas, brought him to his end. We said we would get to him, and we did get to him. The world is now better off without him,” he added.

Sinwar was appointed head of Hamas’ political bureau, succeeding Ismail Haniyeh who was killed in Tehran while attending the swearing-in ceremony of Iran’s newly-elected President Masoud Pezeshkian in July, this year.

Israel claimed that Sinwar, 61, who has not been seen publicly since last year’s horrific October 7 attacks, remains at large in Gaza’s extensive tunnel network, moving frequently and possibly surrounded by hostages.

“We will continue to pursue and eliminate all those who threaten the citizens of the State of Israel. We will not stop until we catch all the terrorists who were involved in 7/10 and return all the abductees home,” the IDF chief stated after confirmation of Sinwar’s death.

Last month, a Hamas official said that Sinwar will remain in the Gaza Strip and is “willing to die for Palestine”.

The statement was made in response to an Israeli proposal offering a safe exit for Sinwar from Gaza in exchange for the release of Israeli hostages, Al-Aqsa TV reported.

“Today evil has suffered a heavy blow, but the task before us is not yet complete,” said Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in his first reaction after Hamas chief’s killing.

The IDF detailed that, so far, dozens of terrorists have been eliminated in precise strikes by Israeli Air Force aircraft and in face-to-face battles, and many weapons and buildings that the enemy has fortified for terrorist activities have been destroyed.

 

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Gaza
  • Hamas chief
  • Hamas chief death
  • IDF

Related News

  • India, Israel expect two more rounds of FTA talks, says ambassador

    India, Israel expect two more rounds of FTA talks, says ambassador

  • Trump says US agrees to hold off Iran attack as deal takes shape, cites Hormuz reopening

    Trump says US agrees to hold off Iran attack as deal takes shape, cites Hormuz reopening

  • Trump says Gaza deal reached for Hamas disarmament

    Trump says Gaza deal reached for Hamas disarmament

  • Netanyahu’s first meeting with Trump since Iran war began is chance to smooth over strains

    Netanyahu’s first meeting with Trump since Iran war began is chance to smooth over strains

Latest News

  • Dhanush Srikanth nominated for prestigious Arjuna Award

    8 seconds ago
  • Goa moves SC seeking life term for Tarun Tejpal in sexual assault case

    5 minutes ago
  • Nearly 100 crore Indian electors issued special voter ID cards: ECI

    25 minutes ago
  • Woman killed after speeding car hits her in Madhapur

    26 minutes ago
  • Three sentenced to life for KPHB murder in 2010

    36 minutes ago
  • Photographer shot dead, associate injured in road rage firing in Ludhiana

    42 minutes ago
  • Trisha’s VIP treatment at I-Day event draws Murasoli’s criticism of Vijay

    54 minutes ago
  • Yash Satwalekar, Vignesh Reddy hit centuries in A-Division league

    1 hour ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam