Friday, Aug 21, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | World | More Villages Evacuated As Large Wildfire In Northern Greece Rages For Second Day

More villages evacuated as large wildfire in northern Greece rages for second day

There were no reports of serious injuries to firefighters or residents from the forest blaze near the town of Alexandroupolis

By AP
Published Date - 20 August 2023, 07:20 PM
More villages evacuated as large wildfire in northern Greece rages for second day
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Thessaloniki: Greek authorities evacuated another four villages near the northeastern border with Turkey Sunday where a large summer wildfire that has already destroyed several homes over the weekend drew dangerously close.

There were no reports of serious injuries to firefighters or residents from the forest blaze near the town of Alexandroupolis, that forced the evacuation of another eight villages Saturday.

Also Read

  • Greek authorities rescue nearly 60 migrants on small boats in Aegean Sea
  • Greece safely evacuates 48 migrants from inflatable boat off Lesbos island

Strong winds whipped on the flames, and civil protection authorities warned of an “extreme” fire risk Monday in the region around the capital, Athens, and other parts of southern Greece.

Some 200 firefighters, assisted by 16 water-dropping aircraft, volunteers and police, were battling the blaze near Alexandroupolis.

Local authorities said about half a dozen outlying houses and outbuildings were badly damaged in two of the evacuated villages, as well as a church.

Sections of a major highway were closed for a second day as smoke reduced visibility, while Alexandroupolis residents were advised to keep their windows shut.

Greece’s minister for civil protection, Vassilis Kikilias, said Sunday that firefighters, police, army personnel and volunteers were “waging an intense battle” in the Alexandroupolis area, and called for extreme public vigilance throughout the country Monday.

“No outdoors work that could trigger a fire will be permitted,” he said. “We must all protect our country.” Greece suffers destructive wildfires every summer, which officials said have been exacerbated by climate change.

The most deadly killed 104 people in 2018, in a seaside resort near Athens that residents had not been warned to evacuate.
Since then, authorities have been erring on the side of caution, issuing swift mass evacuation orders whenever inhabited areas are under threat.

Last month a large wildfire on the resort island of Rhodes forced the evacuation of some 20,000 tourists.

Days later, two air force pilots were killed when their water-dropping plane crashed while diving low to tackle a blaze on the island of Evia. Another three wildfire-related deaths have been recorded this summer.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Greece
  • Turkey
  • wildfire

Related News

  • Trump terms Saudi-Turkey-Pak defence agreement ‘big, bold’ step

    Trump terms Saudi-Turkey-Pak defence agreement ‘big, bold’ step

  • Opinion: Mecca pact and the remaking of West Asia’s security order 

    Opinion: Mecca pact and the remaking of West Asia’s security order 

  • Trump smuggled out of Air Force 1 in food cart to military jet in Turkey to evade threat: Report

    Trump smuggled out of Air Force 1 in food cart to military jet in Turkey to evade threat: Report

  • Editorial: Mecca pact — shifting sands, moving goalposts

    Editorial: Mecca pact — shifting sands, moving goalposts

Latest News

  • Tata Motors to hike vehicle prices by up to Rs 25,000 from September 1

    2 minutes ago
  • Tunnel reportedly found near Qutb Shahi tombs in Golconda

    7 minutes ago
  • Delhi weather: IMD forecasts rain amid humid conditions

    12 minutes ago
  • Hyderabad man detained for alleged sexual assault of 12-year-old daughter

    21 minutes ago
  • Telangana HC questions govt financial priorities over welfare schemes

    33 minutes ago
  • Telangana HC refuses to stay Raidurgam land auction

    36 minutes ago
  • Indian national declared bankrupt in Singapore over unpaid wages

    1 hour ago
  • Amit Shah to attend SSB, border security programmes in Siliguri

    1 hour ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam