Mumbai Police arrest Bangladeshi woman for alleged illegal re-entry after deportation
Mumbai Police arrested a 27-year-old Bangladeshi woman for allegedly re-entering India illegally and staying in the city without valid documents, barely a month after deportation. Police are investigating how she returned, whether anyone assisted her and examining her contacts and travel details
Published Date - 18 August 2026, 12:21 AM
Mumbai: A 27-year-old Bangladeshi woman has been arrested by the Mumbai Police for allegedly re-entering India illegally and residing in the city without valid travel documents, barely a month after she was deported to her home country, an official said on Monday.
According to a Gamdevi police official, the accused has been identified as Nadira Sultana. She was allegedly found staying in India without the required documents after entering the country through an illegal route. Police are now investigating how she managed to re-enter India and whether anyone helped her in the process.
The incident came to light on Saturday when police received information about a suspected Bangladeshi woman roaming near the footpath area adjoining Girgaum Chowpatty. During initial questioning by the police, she allegedly failed to provide clear details about her identity and address. Finding her responses suspicious, she was taken to the police station for further questioning. During verification, police allegedly found that she did not possess valid documents permitting her to stay in India. Her documents and previous records were subsequently examined.
Police said the investigation showed that Sultana had been deported to Bangladesh from India only last month. She allegedly returned to India through an illegal route after her deportation and subsequently reached Mumbai. Her mobile phone, contacts and travel-related details are also likely to be examined as part of the investigation. A case has been registered under the relevant provisions of law. She is currently being questioned, and further legal action will be taken as per the investigation, the official added.