Tuesday, Aug 18, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | World | Over 30 Killed In Russian Missile Attack On Sumy In Ukraine

Over 30 killed in Russian missile attack on Sumy in Ukraine 

The strikes come a day after Russia and Ukraine's senior diplomats accused each other of violating a tentative US-brokered deal to pause strikes on energy infrastructure, underscoring the challenges of negotiating an end to the 3-year war

By AP
Published Date - 13 April 2025, 08:08 PM
Over 30 killed in Russian missile attack on Sumy in Ukraine 
The city center in the aftermath of the Russia's missile attack that killed at least over 30 civilians in Sumy, Ukraine.
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Kyiv: At least 32 people have been killed in a Russian missile strike on the Ukrainian city of Sumy on Sunday, officials said. Two ballistic missiles struck the heart of the city at around 10.15 am as people gathered to celebrate Palm Sunday, according to officials.

Images from the scene on official channels showed lines of black body bags lying on the side of the road, while more bodies were seen wrapped in foil blankets among the debris. Video footage also showed fire crews as they fought to extinguish the shells of burned-out cars among the rubble from damaged buildings.


At least 32 people were killed as a result of the attack, including two children, the State Emergency Service of Ukraine said in a statement. A further 99 people were injured, including 11 children, it said.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy confirmed that rescue efforts were ongoing and said “dozens” had been killed in the double missile attack. “According to preliminary information, dozens of civilians were killed and wounded. Only filthy scum can act like this — taking the lives of ordinary people,” he said.

The head of the Ukrainian president’s office, Andriy Yermak, said that the strike had also used cluster munitions in an attempt to kill as many people as possible.

The attack on Sumy is the second large-scale attack to claim civilian lives in just over a week, following a deadly missile strike on Zelenskyy’s hometown of Kryvyi Rih on April 4 that killed some 20 people, including nine children.

Other world leaders also condemned the attack, with French President Emmanuel Macron saying that the strike undermined Washington-led peace talks between the two sides. “Everyone knows: This war was initiated by Russia alone. And today, it is clear that Russia alone chooses to continue it — with blatant disregard for human lives, international law and the diplomatic efforts of President Trump,” he wrote in a statement.

Elsewhere in Ukraine, a 62-year-old woman was killed in Russian shelling on the Ukrainian city of Kherson, regional Gov. Oleksandr Prokudin said Sunday. The mayor of the Ukrainian city of Kharkiv, Ihor Terekhov, also said Sunday that a Russian strike had hit one of the city’s kindergartens, shattering windows and damaging the building’s facade. No casualties were reported.

The strikes come a day after Russia and Ukraine’s senior diplomats accused each other of violating a tentative US-brokered deal to pause strikes on energy infrastructure, underscoring the challenges of negotiating an end to the 3-year war.

The two countries’ foreign ministers spoke at separate events at the annual Antalya Diplomacy Forum, a day after US envoy Steve Witkoff met with Russian President Vladimir Putin to discuss peace prospects. “The Ukrainians have been attacking us from the very beginning, every passing day, maybe with two or three exceptions,” Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said, adding that Moscow would provide the US, Turkiye and international bodies with a list of Kyiv’s attacks during the past three weeks.

His Ukrainian counterpart, Andrii Sybiha, contested that claim, saying that Russia had launched “almost 70 missiles, over 2,200 (exploding) drones, and over 6,000 guided aerial bombs at Ukraine, mostly at civilians” since agreeing to the limited pause on strikes. Russian forces hold the advantage in Ukraine, and Kyiv has warned Moscow is planning a fresh spring offensive to ramp up pressure on its foe and improve its negotiating position.

Retired Lt Gen Keith Kellogg, Trump’s special envoy to Ukraine and Russia, said that the Sumy attack crossed “any line of decency” and that the White House remained committed to ending the conflict. “There are scores of civilian dead and wounded. As a former military leader, I understand targeting and this is wrong. It is why President Trump is working hard to end this war,” he said.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Palm Sunday
  • Russia
  • Trump
  • Ukraine

Related News

  • Ukraine reaches deal with US on monthly deliveries of interceptor missiles: Zelensky

    Ukraine reaches deal with US on monthly deliveries of interceptor missiles: Zelensky

  • India faces tariff risk as US Senate passes Russia sanctions bill

    India faces tariff risk as US Senate passes Russia sanctions bill

  • Russian missile and drone barrage in Ukrainian capital region kills 15

    Russian missile and drone barrage in Ukrainian capital region kills 15

  • Around two dozen Indians still serving in Russian Army, says Centre

    Around two dozen Indians still serving in Russian Army, says Centre

Latest News

  • Yash Satwalekar, Vignesh Reddy hit centuries in A-Division league

    3 minutes ago
  • India seeks ‘positive and constructive’ relations with Bangladesh: MEA

    10 minutes ago
  • P Roopa Rao wins 100m, 200m gold at Indian Athletics Series

    14 minutes ago
  • Bengaluru to host India’s first World Happpiness Summit

    19 minutes ago
  • Eight UP labourers killed, 32 injured as pickup collides with dumper in MP

    24 minutes ago
  • BRS leaders demand removal of Malkajgiri lands from 22A list

    29 minutes ago
  • Bombay HC suspends life sentence of Dabholkar murder convict Sachin Andure, grants bail

    40 minutes ago
  • Five cobras rescued in Hyderabad during Naga Panchami

    40 minutes ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam