Wednesday, Aug 19, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | World | Russia Expels 2 Us Diplomats Accusing Them Of Illegal Activity

Russia expels 2 US diplomats, accusing them of ‘illegal activity’

Russia's Foreign Ministry declared two US diplomats “persona non grata" and ordered them to leave the country within seven days as they were allegedly involved in “illegal activity.

By AP
Published Date - 14 September 2023, 11:05 PM
Russia expels 2 US diplomats, accusing them of ‘illegal activity’
FILE - The U.S. Embassy, centre, is seen in Moscow, Russia, Tuesday, May 11, 2021. Russia’s Foreign Ministry on Thursday, Sept. 14, 2023 declared two U.S. diplomats “persona non grata” and ordered them to leave the country within seven days as they were allegedly involved in “illegal activity.” (AP Photo/Alexander Zemlianichenko, File)
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Moscow: Russia‘s Foreign Ministry on Thursday declared two US diplomats “persona non grata” and ordered them to leave the country within seven days as they were allegedly involved in “illegal activity.”

The ministry charged in a statement that the first secretary at the US Embassy in Russia, Jeffrey Sillin, and the second secretary, David Bernstein, “kept in touch” with a former employee of the US Consulate in Vladivostok who was arrested earlier this year.

Also Read

  • New US sanctions target workarounds that let Russia get Western tech for war

The ex-employee was accused of collecting information for US diplomats about Russia’s military action in Ukraine and related issues.
According to the statement, US Ambassador to Russia Lynne Tracy was summoned to the ministry on Thursday and informed that Sillin and Berstein were being expelled.

“It was also emphasised that illegal activities of the US diplomatic mission, including interference in the internal affairs of the host country, are unacceptable and will be resolutely suppressed. The Russian side expects Washington to draw the right conclusions and refrain from confrontational steps,” the statement said.

There was no immediate comment from the embassy or the US State Department.

Russia’s Federal Security Service, or FSB, the main domestic security agency, reported the arrest of Robert Shonov, a former employee of the US Consulate in Vladivostok, last month. Shonov was accused of “gathering information about the special military operation, mobilisation processes in Russian regions, problems and the assessment of their influence on protest activities of the population in the runup to the 2024 presidential election.” The “special military operation” is Moscow’s preferred term to describe the fighting in Ukraine.

The FSB, the successor to the KGB, also said it served summonses to question two US diplomats who allegedly instructed Shonov to collect the information. Russia’s state newspaper Rossiyskaya Gazeta cited the FSB spokespeople as saying that those diplomats were Sillin and Bernstein.

Shonov’s arrest was first reported in May, but Russian authorities provided no details at the time. The US State Department condemned his arrest, saying the allegations against Shonov were “wholly without merit.”

Shonov was charged under a new article of Russian law that criminalizes “cooperation on a confidential basis with a foreign state, international or foreign organization to assist their activities clearly aimed against Russia’s security.” Kremlin critics have said the formulation is so broad it can be used to punish any Russian who had foreign connections. It carries a prison sentence of up to eight years.

In its latest statement, the State Department said the use of the “confidential cooperation” law against Shonov “highlights the increasingly repressive actions the Russian government is taking against its own citizens.”

The State Department has said Shonov worked at the US consulate in Vladivostok for more than 25 years. The consulate closed in 2020 because of the COVID-19 pandemic and never reopened.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Covid-19
  • Russia
  • United States

Related News

  • Baloch leader urges Trump to act over Pakistan airstrikes in Balochistan

    Baloch leader urges Trump to act over Pakistan airstrikes in Balochistan

  • New US green card rule may hit Indians

    New US green card rule may hit Indians

  • Warehouse burns near Moscow. In Ukraine, drone crews prepare to strike again

    Warehouse burns near Moscow. In Ukraine, drone crews prepare to strike again

  • Trump posts photo with North Korean leader Kim, says ‘we get along great’

    Trump posts photo with North Korean leader Kim, says ‘we get along great’

Latest News

  • Stanley College holds orientation for first‑year engineering students in Hyderabad

    16 minutes ago
  • Trader held for diverting PDS rice in Adilabad

    26 minutes ago
  • Konda Surekha served notice over daughter’s remarks against MLA Revuri

    31 minutes ago
  • Sreenidhi University welcomes next generation of innovators

    36 minutes ago
  • Phenom to expand India footprint, create 2,000 jobs in Telangana

    47 minutes ago
  • Khethworks opens Hyderabad office to boost solar irrigation solutions for small farmers

    1 hour ago
  • Telangana Under-17 chess championship from August 22

    1 hour ago
  • Gachibowli Hockey Stadium gets FIH Category-1 certification

    1 hour ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam