Wednesday, Aug 19, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | Cricket | Sa England Odi Series To Go Ahead As Players Test Covid Negative

SA-England ODI series to go ahead as players test Covid negative

A Cricket South Africa statement released said the latest round of tests were done Friday and they were "pleased to announce that the entire Proteas team has returned negative results"

By AFP
Published Date - 5 December 2020, 05:53 PM
SA-England ODI series to go ahead as players test Covid negative
File Photo: South Africa cricket squad
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Johannesburg: The entire South African cricket squad has tested negative for coronavirus, allowing three one-day international matches against England to start Sunday in Paarl near Cape Town.

A Cricket South Africa statement released Saturday said the latest round of tests were done Friday and they were “pleased to announce that the entire Proteas team has returned negative results”.


There had been concerns that the matches, rescheduled for Sunday, and Monday and Wednesday in Cape Town, might be cancelled after an unnamed South African player tested positive Thursday despite staying in a “bio bubble”.

Originally, the series was due to begin in Cape Town Friday, but the match was called off just one hour before the scheduled start after the revelation of the positive test. Two other South African players tested positive before the Twenty20 series between South Africa and England, which finished this week with the tourists winning 3-0.

The decision to go ahead with the ODI series was a relief to South African officials, who have been puzzled as to how a player became infected with the potentially deadly virus in the “bubble”.

“This (positive) test has surprised us because we had confidence in the bio-secure environment,” South African team doctor Shuaib Manjra said. “There has been some kind of breach which we have investigated in great detail to try and determine where this happened, by speaking to the player and looking at security camera footage.”

Manjra dismissed rumours that at least one South African cricketer had left the hotel without authorisation.

“I can categorically state that no player would be able to leave the hotel environment,” he said, adding that security was being controlled by a police colonel. “It is impossible to leave except in an official vehicle with an official driver.”

With both squads staying at the same hotel, close to Newlands stadium where the two Cape Town matches will be played, the tourists had expressed concern.’’

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • England.
  • ODI series
  • players
  • Rumours

Related News

  • Joe Root unfazed by missing century as England beat India to level ODI series

    Joe Root unfazed by missing century as England beat India to level ODI series

  • New Zealand beat West Indies to take 2-1 lead in ODI series

    New Zealand beat West Indies to take 2-1 lead in ODI series

  • India vs England 2nd ODI: Series on the line in Cardiff as India balance fitness issues and selection dilemmas

    India vs England 2nd ODI: Series on the line in Cardiff as India balance fitness issues and selection dilemmas

  • India vs England: Shivam Dube replaces injured Nitish Kumar Reddy in ODI squad

    India vs England: Shivam Dube replaces injured Nitish Kumar Reddy in ODI squad

Latest News

  • US Ambassador Sergio Gor calls J&K ‘important part of India’

    2 minutes ago
  • High Court questions State’s priorities on welfare schemes, land losers’ compensation

    30 minutes ago
  • Telangana HC says interim bail permissible under BNSS, directs trial court to reconsider

    57 minutes ago
  • Stanley College holds orientation for first‑year engineering students in Hyderabad

    1 hour ago
  • Trader held for diverting PDS rice in Adilabad

    1 hour ago
  • Konda Surekha served notice over daughter’s remarks against MLA Revuri

    2 hours ago
  • Sreenidhi University welcomes next generation of innovators

    2 hours ago
  • Phenom to expand India footprint, create 2,000 jobs in Telangana

    2 hours ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam