Saturday, Aug 22, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | Cricket | Shambolic Ben Stokes Slams Decision To Leave Headingley Out Of 2027 Ashes

‘Shambolic’: Ben Stokes slams decision to leave Headingley out of 2027 Ashes

Ben Stokes has criticised the exclusion of Headingley from the 2027 men’s Ashes schedule, calling the decision ‘shambolic’. The omission of northern venues has drawn backlash from players and commentators, with concerns raised over representation and accessibility of the iconic series

By IANS
Published Date - 22 August 2026, 04:29 PM
‘Shambolic’: Ben Stokes slams decision to leave Headingley out of 2027 Ashes
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

London: Former England captain Ben Stokes has described the decision to exclude Headingley from the 2027 men’s Ashes schedule as ‘shambolic,’ as he joined the growing criticism from players and commentators over the absence of a northern venue for the high-profile series.

Stokes expressed his frustration on Instagram stories in response to a post discussing the schedule. “Shame is an understatement. Shambolic would be more appropriate. Great win though,” wrote Stokes, as he commented in reference to England’s victory by an innings and 103 runs over Pakistan at Leeds.


The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) had revealed that next year’s Ashes will take place in Trent Bridge, Lord’s, Edgbaston, Rose Bowl, and the Oval. The allocation meant both Headingley and Old Trafford Stadium were omitted from the schedule.

Newly appointed Test captain Joe Root previously called the omission of northern venues a ‘shame,’ pointing to England’s strong record at the ground, where they have won seven consecutive Tests. Both Headingley and Old Trafford are scheduled to host Ashes Tests in 2031, but the exclusion in 2027 has left many frustrated.

Former England batter Mark Butcher also questioned the omission during day three’s broadcast. “I think anybody but the most partisan Hampshire cricket supporter would recognise that in a sport and particularly in a series like the Ashes, where the interest in the game is at its peak at any point over a four-year cycle, that the game being marketed as a game for everybody needs to have some representation and needs to have a game in the north.

“Whether that’s here at Headingley or whether it’s at Old Trafford, that’s a point for the bean counters to decide, or whoever’s turn that might be. I find it extraordinary that there’ll be no Ashes cricket up in the north of England beyond Trent Bridge next year. It’s bizarre,” he had said to Sky Sports.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Ashes 2027
  • Ben Stokes
  • ECB
  • England cricket

Related News

  • Michael Hussey open to England Test batting coach role after Stephen Fleming approach

    Michael Hussey open to England Test batting coach role after Stephen Fleming approach

  • Joe Root named England Test captain as selectors avoid burdening Harry Brook

    Joe Root named England Test captain as selectors avoid burdening Harry Brook

  • Joe Root excited to return as England Test captain, says he is better prepared for second stint

    Joe Root excited to return as England Test captain, says he is better prepared for second stint

  • The Oval to host 2027 ICC World Test Championship Final from June 9

    The Oval to host 2027 ICC World Test Championship Final from June 9

Latest News

  • Vaarahi expands Hyderabad presence with new Vanasthalipuram stores

    4 seconds ago
  • AWPO Hyderabad conducts placement drive, 97 ex-servicemen provisionally selected

    2 minutes ago
  • ‘Shambolic’: Ben Stokes slams decision to leave Headingley out of 2027 Ashes

    6 minutes ago
  • Google Gemini, Spinny among brands in talks as BCCI searches for Team India sponsor

    9 minutes ago
  • CJP seeks accountability over Rajasthan school conditions, rejects BJP bias allegations

    15 minutes ago
  • We welcome a free press that holds those in power accountable, says Bhatti

    17 minutes ago
  • Sebi reviews framework for monitoring issue proceeds

    33 minutes ago
  • Watch: Under-construction building collapses in Madhapur, one injured

    26 minutes ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam