Hyderabad: The photo-sharing platform Instagram is the go-to platform for millennials and the GenZ crowd. As per reports, the service has over 1.074 billion users worldwide as of 2021 and it completed 11 years on October 6.
It has grown from being just a photo-sharing app, users can browse online shops, meet like-minded people, book a service of their choice and get inspired by their favourite influencers.
However, it has its own perils that one needs to be aware of and take necessary steps as and when required. Kaspersky has provided with different key tips to help keep your personal data and account protected:
1. Privacy level – One need to pay attention to account privacy as it helps keep cybercriminals at bay. Good option is to make your account private so that your posts are only visible to approved followers.
2. Check, control and clean up online footprint – Remove information about payment methods from your account and remove your phone number to prevent strangers from contacting you.
3. Secure personal data – Remove synchronized contacts as Instagram uses them to suggest you follow accounts of or show targeted ads.
4. Block third-party apps – This will help in having control over who accesses your profile information, images, and videos you have posted, subscriber lists. You will also eliminate unauthorized activity and reduce risk of data leakage.
5. Don’t use the same password – Have a different password for Instagram account and other services. You can use a password manager to help memorise just one master password.
6. Trust but verify — Malicious links can be sent by your friends, colleagues, or an online gaming partner whose accounts have been compromised in various ways. Therefore, don’t forget to check the link from your friend before clicking on it.
7. Be careful about posting — Be very careful when you post any scans and photos, especially when it comes to IDs, tickets and billing documents. It’s also a good idea to keep information about your traveling schedule to yourself. This info could be used to find out when you are away from home and rob you, or steal your sensitive data, such as banking credentials.
Now you can get handpicked stories from Telangana Today on Telegram everyday. Click the link to subscribe.