Thursday, Aug 20, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | World | Trump Administration Targets Harvard Again Probes Foreign Student Exchange Compliance

Trump administration targets Harvard again, probes foreign student exchange compliance

The US State Department has launched a probe into Harvard’s eligibility in the Exchange Visitor Program, amid rising political tensions over foreign student policies, free speech concerns, and national security.

By IANS
Published Date - 24 July 2025, 07:16 AM
Trump administration targets Harvard again, probes foreign student exchange compliance
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Washington: The US State Department has said that it is opening an investigation into Harvard University’s continued eligibility as a sponsor for the Exchange Visitor Program, which allows foreign students and scholars to participate in exchange programs in the US.

The investigation marks the Trump administration’s renewed effort to restrict the admission of overseas students at the country’s oldest university, Xinhua news agency reported.


“To maintain their privilege to sponsor exchange visitors, sponsors must comply with all regulations, including conducting their programs in a manner that does not undermine the foreign policy objectives or compromise the national security interests of the US,” US State Secretary Marco Rubio said on Wednesday in a statement.

“The investigation will ensure that State Department programs do not run contrary to our nation’s interests,” Rubio added.

The Trump administration has designated combating anti-semitism a foreign policy aim, and State Department officials have maintained that statements as broad as calls to cut off military aid to Israel could be grounds for revoking a non-citizen’s visa. The federal government has also suggested that Harvard’s ties to China could be a national security threat.

The Wednesday probe is yet another escalation in the Trump administration’s ongoing pressure campaign into Harvard, which has continued to ramp up even as the two parties pursue negotiations in Washington.

Two weeks ago, the administration threatened Harvard’s accreditation status and subpoenaed the university for records related to alleged misconduct by international students.

Harvard was given one week to comply with the extensive request, which was served by Immigration and Customs Enforcement and asked for details on international students’ post-graduation employment through Optional Practical Training and any videos of international students protesting on campus since 2020.

A spokesperson for Harvard University said in a statement that this investigation is “yet another retaliatory step taken by the administration in violation of Harvard’s First Amendment rights,” while noting that Harvard is committed to continuing to comply with the applicable Exchange Visitor Program regulations.

Earlier this week, Judge Allison Burroughs from the US District Court for the District of Massachusetts held a hearing on the Trump administration’s cuts to Harvard’s federal funding—an estimated total of more than $2.6 billion.

In a social media post, US President Donald Trump called the judge “a total disaster,” pledging that his administration would file an immediate appeal should the ruling go against them.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Exchange Visitor Program
  • Harvard University
  • Trump Administration
  • US State Department

Related News

  • Trump administration claims deportation of over 3 million undocumented immigrants

    Trump administration claims deportation of over 3 million undocumented immigrants

  • US defends expanded social media screening of foreign visa applicants

    US defends expanded social media screening of foreign visa applicants

  • US federal judge allows Trump administration to terminate TPS for about 350,000 Haitians

    US federal judge allows Trump administration to terminate TPS for about 350,000 Haitians

  • US may impose USD 1,00,000 fee on OPT visas

    US may impose USD 1,00,000 fee on OPT visas

Latest News

  • Army Public School Bolarum students win TCS InQuizitive 2026 Hyderabad edition

    11 minutes ago
  • Malkajgiri Municipal Corporation to implement ‘free left’ lanes at six stretches to ease traffic

    13 minutes ago
  • Telangana launches online complaint system for private schools

    52 minutes ago
  • Treesa-Gayatri credit home crowd after reaching BWF World Championships quarterfinals

    1 hour ago
  • KBR Park traffic loop leaves pedestrians struggling with missing footpaths, crossings

    1 hour ago
  • AP Rajya Sabha MP’s son arrested in Hyderabad accident death case

    1 hour ago
  • Polytechnic education faces crisis in Telangana over proposed shift to Skills University

    1 hour ago
  • PV Sindhu’s World Championships medal hopes end after loss to Wang Zhi Yi

    1 hour ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam