Friday, Aug 21, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | World | Uk Pm Warns Of A Bumpy Coronavirus Situation Until Christmas

UK PM warns of a ‘bumpy’ coronavirus situation until Christmas

According to official figures, there were 12,872 new cases on Saturday, while a further 49 people have died within 28 days of testing positive for COVID-19.

By PTI
Published Date - 4 October 2020, 04:32 PM
UK PM warns of a ‘bumpy’ coronavirus situation until Christmas
File Photo: UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson.
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

London: Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Sunday warned of a “bumpy” ride at least through to Christmas in December, as the UK recorded more than 10,000 new coronavirus cases in a day for the first time since mass testing for the deadly virus was put in place.

According to official figures, there were 12,872 new cases on Saturday, while a further 49 people have died within 28 days of testing positive for COVID-19. However, the government said a technical issue meant some cases from earlier in the week were not recorded at the time so these were included in Saturday’s data.


In his interview, the UK PM tried to strike a note of optimism over progress in beating the virus and said he believed over the “next few weeks and months” the “scientific equation will change, whether that is vaccines or testing”.

“I’ve got to tell you in all candour it’s going to continue to be bumpy through to Christmas, it may even be bumpy beyond,” Johnson told the BBC. “This could be a very tough winter for all of us – we’ve got to face that fact,” he said. While insisting his government was working “flat out” to fight the pandemic, Johnson said he took “full responsibility for everything that has happened since the pandemic began”, admitting the National Health Service (NHS) led Test and Trace system was “not perfect”.

But he said scientific advisers had told him that by spring in March/April 2021 “things will be radically different and we will be in a different world”.

Johnson said he understood people’s “frustration” at differing rules and restrictions for different parts of the country but stressed that localised lockdowns was the right way to go and wait to see if the R number – of the rate at which the infection is transmitted – comes down as a result.

“I’m a freedom-loving Tory. I don’t want to have to impose measures like this, are you crazy? This is the last thing we want to do. But I also have to save life. And that’s our priority,” he said.

“And as Prime Minister I couldn’t take a course that could expose us to tens of thousands more deaths in very short order…we’ve got to continue to bear down on this virus, whilst protecting the economy. That’s the balance we’ve got to strike,” he added.

The interview this weekend coincides with his Conservative Party’s annual conference, being conducted virtually for the first time due to coronavirus restrictions on mass gatherings.

The Tories have created a 3D virtual conference with a computer-generated auditorium, foyer and fringe meeting rooms. However, the system has not been smooth-sailing as the virtual platform crashed during a session with UK Cabinet Office minister Michael Gove.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Boris Johnson
  • Conservative Party
  • Coronavirus cases
  • Covid-19

Related News

  • Rahul’s mockery of Modi govt’s foreign policy draws flak from BJP, JD(U)

    Rahul’s mockery of Modi govt’s foreign policy draws flak from BJP, JD(U)

  • Kejriwal says social media account restricted in India, questions Meta

    Kejriwal says social media account restricted in India, questions Meta

  • PM Modi meets President Murmu at Rashtrapati Bhavan

    PM Modi meets President Murmu at Rashtrapati Bhavan

  • IT ministry summons Meta after PM Modi’s post removed; co admits error, says content restored

    IT ministry summons Meta after PM Modi’s post removed; co admits error, says content restored

Latest News

  • Hyderabad man detained for alleged sexual assault of 12-year-old daughter

    55 seconds ago
  • Telangana HC questions govt financial priorities over welfare schemes

    13 minutes ago
  • Telangana HC refuses to stay Raidurgam land auction

    16 minutes ago
  • Indian national declared bankrupt in Singapore over unpaid wages

    49 minutes ago
  • Amit Shah to attend SSB, border security programmes in Siliguri

    1 hour ago
  • Aisha Wahab becomes first Afghan-American elected to US Congress

    1 hour ago
  • Charter plane carrying eight crashes in western Alaska

    2 hours ago
  • NTA defends Rs 200 answer key challenge fee, says it benefits all candidates

    9 hours ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam