Tuesday, Aug 18, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | World | Un Chief Regrets Armenia Azerbaijan Regularly Ignoring Calls For Ceasefire

UN Chief regrets Armenia, Azerbaijan regularly ignoring calls for ceasefire

The fighting on the contact line in Nagorno-Karabakh have been ongoing since September 27, with Yerevan and Baku accusing each other of starting the firing.

By ANI
Published Date - 19 October 2020, 11:33 AM
UN Chief regrets Armenia, Azerbaijan regularly ignoring calls for ceasefire
File Photo: UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

New York: UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has expressed his regrets over the fact that Armenia and Azerbaijan have repeatedly ignored the international community’s calls for ceasing hostilities in Nagorno-Karabakh, spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said in a statement on Sunday.

“The Secretary-General deeply regrets that the sides have continuously ignored the repeated calls of the international community to immediately stop the fighting. As he underscored again in his latest calls with the Foreign Ministers of Armenia and Azerbaijan, both sides have the obligation under international humanitarian law to take constant care to spare and protect civilians and civilian infrastructure in the conduct of military operations,” the statement said.


The UN chief expects the conflicting parties to fully abide by commitments under the recent humanitarian truce and immediately resume substantive negotiations under the auspices of the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe’s Minsk Group.

“The Secretary-General condemns all attacks on populated areas impacted by the conflict. The tragic loss of civilian lives, including children, from the latest reported strike on 16 October on the city of Ganja is totally unacceptable, as are indiscriminate attacks on populated areas anywhere, including in Stepanakert/Khankendi and other localities in and around the immediate Nagorno-Karabakh zone of conflict,” the statement added.

The fighting on the contact line in Nagorno-Karabakh have been ongoing since September 27, with Yerevan and Baku accusing each other of starting the firing. The hours-long talks between foreign ministers of Russia, Armenia and Azerbaijan held in Moscow last week led to a humanitarian ceasefire in Nagorno-Karabakh that started on October 10. However, hostilities resumed on the same day. A new truce has been reached and came into force at 20:00 GMT this Saturday, but the sides have immediately blamed each other for violating it.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Antonio Guterres
  • Armenia
  • Azerbaijan
  • Co-operation

Related News

  • Defence Secretary Rajesh Kumar Singh arrives in Armenia to advance bilateral defence cooperation

    Defence Secretary Rajesh Kumar Singh arrives in Armenia to advance bilateral defence cooperation

  • India faces tariff risk as US Senate passes Russia sanctions bill

    India faces tariff risk as US Senate passes Russia sanctions bill

  • UN chief backs probe into PoK protest killings

    UN chief backs probe into PoK protest killings

  • Russian missile and drone barrage in Ukrainian capital region kills 15

    Russian missile and drone barrage in Ukrainian capital region kills 15

Latest News

  • ECI data shows long-term rise in voter turnout across several states

    6 minutes ago
  • Vizhinjam port starts EXIM operations, capacity to rise to 5.7 million TEUs

    17 minutes ago
  • JSSC-CGL exam cancellation triggers protests, over 2,000 employees face job uncertainty

    32 minutes ago
  • RBI faces challenge in predicting currency demand amid UPI growth

    43 minutes ago
  • Dasoju Sravan questions Congress govt’s loot of private property owners through 22A land restrictions

    47 minutes ago
  • Asifabad Congress faces internal rift over DCC chief Athram Suguna

    47 minutes ago
  • Bengaluru double murder: Woman allegedly kills husband, child with lover’s help

    54 minutes ago
  • India, Israel expect two more rounds of FTA talks, says ambassador

    1 hour ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam