Friday, Aug 21, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | World | Us Department Of Justice Announces Probe Into H 1b Visa Misuse

US Department of Justice announces probe into H-1B visa misuse

The US Department of Justice, led by Harmeet Dhillon, is investigating unfair hiring practices under the H-1B visa program, following concerns that US citizens are overlooked in favor of foreign workers. The DoJ urges tips on its hotline for ongoing investigations

By IANS
Published Date - 30 August 2025, 04:54 PM
US Department of Justice announces probe into H-1B visa misuse
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Washington: The US Department of Justice (DoJ) has intensified its scrutiny of hiring practices under the H-1B visa program, calling on workers and employers to report instances where US citizens are unfairly overlooked in favour of foreign visa holders.

Harmeet Dhillon, the India-born Assistant Attorney General of Civil Rights at the DoJ, is leading the initiative. Dhillon was hand-picked by US President Donald Trump for the job shortly after he won the election in December last year.


On Thursday, Dhillon announced that the department has opened “several” investigations and taken action against “some” employers already. “Send us your leads,” she urged Americans to reach out on the DoJ hotline.

The H-1B program, capped at 85,000 new visas annually, allows US companies to hire skilled foreign workers in fields like technology and engineering. However, critics, including US Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick and Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, have argued it enables outsourcing firms to depress wages and displace American talent.

In an interview with Fox News on Tuesday, Lutnick termed the current H1B visa system “a scam” and called upon US businesses to prioritise hiring of “American workers.”

Lutnick also announced that he is “involved in changing” it. DeSantis, too, raised similar concerns, calling the programme a “cottage industry.”

The Department of Homeland Security has also proposed changes to the existing system by eliminating the lottery setup with a “weighted selection process.”

Indian workers account for over 70 per cent of the H-1 visa approvals each year, primarily due to a huge backlog in approvals and a high number of skilled immigrants from the country.

On Wednesday, in a related development, the Trump administration also unveiled new plans to restrict visas for international students by imposing a four-year cap.

India is the largest source of international students in the United States, with over 330,000 arriving in 2024, followed by China.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • H-1B visa programme
  • United States
  • US Department of Justice (DoJ)
  • World News

Related News

  • Baloch leader urges Trump to act over Pakistan airstrikes in Balochistan

    Baloch leader urges Trump to act over Pakistan airstrikes in Balochistan

  • New US green card rule may hit Indians

    New US green card rule may hit Indians

  • Pakistan SC orders shifting of Imran Khan to private hospital for medical checkup

    Pakistan SC orders shifting of Imran Khan to private hospital for medical checkup

  • Trump posts photo with North Korean leader Kim, says ‘we get along great’

    Trump posts photo with North Korean leader Kim, says ‘we get along great’

Latest News

  • NTA defends Rs 200 answer key challenge fee, says it benefits all candidates

    44 minutes ago
  • Magnitude 6.7 earthquake strikes southern Peru; no damage reported

    55 minutes ago
  • Iran accuses US of ‘economic war’ as Trump threatens tougher sanctions

    59 minutes ago
  • Opinion: Section 22-A and Right to Property

    2 hours ago
  • Houthis claim drone attacks on Saudi airport, Aramco facility

    2 hours ago
  • Editorial: Trump’s tariff tantrums fail to dent India’s exports

    3 hours ago
  • India U-20 held to 0-0 draw by Yemen in friendly

    3 hours ago
  • East Bengal women smash 12-0 record win in AFC Women’s Champions League

    3 hours ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam