Thursday, Aug 20, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | News | Us Saudi Arabia Call For Warring Sides In Sudan To Extend Imperfect Cease Fire

US, Saudi Arabia call for warring sides in Sudan to extend ‘imperfect’ cease-fire

United States and Saudi Arabia called on warring sides in Sudan to extend a cease-fire due to expire Monday

By AP
Published Date - 28 May 2023, 11:59 PM
US, Saudi Arabia call for warring sides in Sudan to extend ‘imperfect’ cease-fire
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Dubai: The United States and Saudi Arabia called on warring sides in Sudan to extend a cease-fire due to expire Monday.

The Sudanese army and a rival paramilitary force, battling for control of Sudan since mid-April, had agreed last week to the weeklong truce, brokered by the US and the Saudis. However, the cease-fire, like others before it, did not stop the fighting in the capital of Khartoum and elsewhere in the country.

Also Read

  • Humanitarian crisis worsens in Sudan’s capital as clashes continue
  • Sudan’s military chief freezes bank accounts of rival paramilitary group amid truce attempts

In a joint statement early Sunday, the U.S. and Saudi Arabia called for an extension of the current truce which expires at 9:45 pm local time Monday.

“While imperfect, an extension nonetheless will facilitate the delivery of urgently needed humanitarian assistance to the Sudanese people,” the statement said.

The statement also urged Sudan’s military government and the rival Rapid Support Forces to continue negotiations.

The fighting broke out in mid-April between the military and the powerful RSF. Both military chief Gen. Abdel-Fattah Burhan and RSF leader Gen. Mohammed Hamdan Dagalo led the 2021 coup that removed the Western-backed government of Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok.

The fighting turned Khartoum and the adjacent city of Omdurman into a battleground. The clashes also spread elsewhere in the country, including the war-wracked Darfur region.

The conflict has killed hundreds of people, wounded thousands and pushed the country to near collapse. It forced more than 1.3 million out of their homes to safer areas inside Sudan, or to neighboring nations.

Residents reported renewed sporadic clashes Sunday in parts of Omdurman, where the army’s aircraft were seen flying over the city. Fighting was also reported in al-Fasher, the provincial capital of North Darfur.

The U.S.-Saudi statement came two days after Burhan demanded in a letter to the U.N. secretary-general that the U.N. envoy to his country be removed, The U.N. chief was “shocked” by the letter, a spokesman said.

The envoy, Volker Perthes, has been a key mediator in Sudan, first during the country’s fitful attempts to transition to democracy and then during efforts to end the current fighting.

Burhan’s letter came after Perthes accused the warring parties of disregarding the laws of war by attacking homes, shops, places of worship and water and electricity installations.

In his briefing to the U.N. Security Council last week, Perthes blamed the leaders of the military and the RSF for the war, saying that they have chosen to “settle their unresolved conflict on the battlefield rather than at the table.”

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Sudan
  • US

Related News

  • Trump threatens to bomb Oman amid Iran talks over Strait of Hormuz

    Trump threatens to bomb Oman amid Iran talks over Strait of Hormuz

  • Explainer: A new ‘NATO of the East?’ Why Mecca pact isn’t quite what it seems

    Explainer: A new ‘NATO of the East?’ Why Mecca pact isn’t quite what it seems

  • Iran’s president says peace MoU with US advanced with ‘dignity, power’

    Iran’s president says peace MoU with US advanced with ‘dignity, power’

  • Trump terms Saudi-Turkey-Pak defence agreement ‘big, bold’ step

    Trump terms Saudi-Turkey-Pak defence agreement ‘big, bold’ step

Latest News

  • Harish Rao urges Rahul Gandhi’s intervention over alleged misuse of 22A provisions

    4 minutes ago
  • Tech leaders rally behind Trump’s crypto push

    19 minutes ago
  • LIC gets nod to raise HDFC Bank holding to 9.99 pc

    21 minutes ago
  • Russian missile barrage kills at least 6 in Kyiv, injures 33

    28 minutes ago
  • Indian national dies in Israel; suspect arrested

    32 minutes ago
  • Visionary leader who helped prepare India for promise of 21st century: Cong

    47 minutes ago
  • Bangladesh all set to elect new president; BNP’s Mirza Alamgir frontrunner

    54 minutes ago
  •  Stock markets rebound in early trade: Sensex jumps over 500 points

    1 hour ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam