Tuesday, November 30, 2021
World10 dead, one still missing in China's gold mine blast

10 dead, one still missing in China’s gold mine blast

Published: 25th Jan 2021 4:42 pm

Beijing/Jinan: At least 10 people, who were trapped underground following a blast in a gold mine in China’s Shandong province, have died, officials said on Monday.

- Advertisement -

The bodies of the workers were retrieved a day after authorities with its team rescued 11 people from the mine located in Shandong province’s Qixia.

One trapped miner is still missing and search efforts for him are underway.

Rescuers have retrieved 10 bodies of miners trapped underground due to the blast in the gold mine, state-run Xinhua news agency reported, quoting officials in Jinan, capital of Shandong province.

Twenty-two miners were trapped underground due to the mine blast on January 10 in Qixia.

Eleven miners were rescued on Sunday after being trapped for two weeks, and one was still missing, the report said.

After bringing back 11 miners, rescuers went down into the gold mine and saw the bodies of 10 miners.

All have lost signs of life, chief on-site rescue expert Du Bingjian told the state-run Global Times.

Judging by the bodies, some of the miners starved to death, and some died from injuries from the explosion, Du said.

One trapped miner is still missing and search efforts are underway.

Previously, clearance work had encountered great difficulties, but on Sunday morning, a huge obstacle blocking the well suddenly fell to the bottom of the shaft, allowing rescue work to take a big step forward, after which the rescuers brought up 11 miners.

As the obstacles were cleared, rescuers were allowed to go down into the goldmine to the Sixth Central Section, where it was believed the other miners were located.

The body of one miner was found in the sixth Central Section. Eight miners were found in the third and the fourth central section, which were closer to the ground, the Global Times report said.

The gold mine explosion took place on January 10. A total of 22 miners were trapped underground, but the accident was only reported to the local authorities 30 hours later.

Top rescue teams and equipment were quickly summoned to the city for all-out rescue efforts, which has been going on for 14 days.

Chen Fei, mayor of Yantai said : “We will not stop searching for the missing miner”. He said that the rescue work is extremely difficult as the underground water is very deep.

According to Chen, the 11 rescued miners are receiving proper medical treatment, and DNA tests are being conducted to confirm the identities of the deceased.

The investigation into the cause of the accident is still in progress, Xinhua report said.

Also Read

- Advertisement -

Latest News

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -