Friday, Aug 21, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | News | About 100 Crore People Children In 43 Countries At Risk Of Cholera Says Un

About 100 crore people, children in 43 countries at risk of cholera, says UN

A report by UN showed that after years of steady decline, cholera is making a devastating comeback and targeting the world's most vulnerable communities

By IANS
Published Date - 20 May 2023, 02:28 PM
About 100 crore people, children in 43 countries at risk of cholera, says UN
Source: IANS.
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

New Delhi: About 100 crore people, particularly children, in 43 countries are at risk of cholera, according to a new report by the UN.

The report showed that after years of steady decline, cholera is making a devastating comeback and targeting the world’s most vulnerable communities. Children under five are particularly vulnerable.

Also Read

  • WHO advisory group calls for Covid boosters targeting XBB variants

It said that more countries now face outbreaks, increasing numbers of cases are being reported and the outcome for patients is worse than 10 years ago. Cholera’s extraordinarily high mortality ratio is also alarming.

“The (cholera) pandemic is killing the poor right in front of us,” said Jerome Pfaffmann Zambruni, Head of Unicef’s Public Health Emergency unit, in a statement.

According to World Health Organization (WHO) data, 15 countries had reported cholera cases till May last year.

However, by mid-May this year “we already have 24 countries reporting and we anticipate more with the seasonal shift in cholera cases,” said Henry Gray, the WHO’s Incident Manager for the global cholera response.

“Despite advances in the control of the disease made in the previous decades we risk going backwards,” he added.

A deadly combination of climate change, underinvestment in water, sanitation and hygiene services — and in some cases armed conflict — has led to the spread of the disease, the report said.

Although vaccines exist to protect against cholera, supply is insufficient to face the increasing demand. According to the WHO, 18 million doses of vaccines have been requested globally, but only eight million have been made available.

“Increasing production is not an overnight solution,” said Gray.

“The plan is to double the production of doses by 2025, but we won’t have enough if the current trend continues. Vaccine is a tool, but not an overall solution. Long term investment in water sanitation is the priority,” he added.

The WHO’s wake-up call was echoed by Unicef.

“Not only (do) we need long term investments, but immediate investments in the water system to ensure access to clean water, sanitation, and dignity,” said Zambruni.

To respond to the growing cholera threat, the WHO is launching a 12-month Strategic Preparedness, Response and Readiness Plan, requiring $160 million, alongside Unicef’s Call to Action for $480 million.

The combined cholera response plan will cover 40 countries in acute crisis. It will include coordination, infection surveillance and prevention, vaccination, treatment, and water, sanitation and hygiene.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Cholera
  • UN
  • WHO

Related News

  • Congo’s Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest on record, kills over 2,300

    Congo’s Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest on record, kills over 2,300

  • Congo’s Ebola outbreak began months before official declaration: WHO

    Congo’s Ebola outbreak began months before official declaration: WHO

  • WHO classifies three widely used medicines, including a common BP drug, as Group 1 carcinogens

    WHO classifies three widely used medicines, including a common BP drug, as Group 1 carcinogens

  • Congo reports 930 Ebola deaths amid worsening outbreak

    Congo reports 930 Ebola deaths amid worsening outbreak

Latest News

  • NTA defends Rs 200 answer key challenge fee, says it benefits all candidates

    4 hours ago
  • Magnitude 6.7 earthquake strikes southern Peru; no damage reported

    4 hours ago
  • Iran accuses US of ‘economic war’ as Trump threatens tougher sanctions

    4 hours ago
  • Opinion: Section 22-A and Right to Property

    6 hours ago
  • Houthis claim drone attacks on Saudi airport, Aramco facility

    5 hours ago
  • Editorial: Trump’s tariff tantrums fail to dent India’s exports

    6 hours ago
  • India U-20 held to 0-0 draw by Yemen in friendly

    6 hours ago
  • East Bengal women smash 12-0 record win in AFC Women’s Champions League

    6 hours ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam