Tuesday, Aug 18, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | Football | Ashes Test Pays Tribute To Bondi Beach First Responders With Guard Of Honour

Ashes Test pays tribute to Bondi Beach first responders with guard of honour

Ahead of the fifth Ashes Test at the SCG, Australian and English players paid tribute to emergency personnel and civilians who responded to the Bondi Beach mass shooting, with a moving guard of honour and a standing ovation from fans.

By IANS
Updated On - 4 January 2026, 11:02 AM
Ashes Test pays tribute to Bondi Beach first responders with guard of honour
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Sydney: In a touching ceremony before the fifth Ashes Test here on Sunday, the Australian and English teams gave a guard of honour to emergency service personnel and members of the public who responded during last month’s horrific Bondi Beach mass shooting.

The on-field guard of honour before the match drew loud applause from the sold-out crowd, honouring ambulance workers, police, surf lifesavers and Jewish community groups.


“A privilege and honour to host the first responders responsible for displayed tremendous bravery during the Bondi Beach terrorist attack,” Cricket Australia shared on X.

The loudest ovation was reserved for Ahmed al Ahmed, who bravely confronted one of the attackers and disarmed him. The names of the 15 victims appeared on the stadium screens beneath the words “Forever in our hearts” as first responders led the procession onto the field.

“What an emotional ceremony and a standing ovation that you can imagine could have gone on and on and on,” former Australia wicketkeeper Adam Gilchrist said on Fox Cricket.

“A fine tribute to the first responders, the heroes of the tragic events that transpired in Bondi. They are heroes of the nation.”

A heightened security operation is in place for the SCG Test, with uniformed and mounted police, along with public order and riot squad officers, patrolling the venue.

New South Wales police had said that public order and riot squad officers would carry the weapons at the fifth and final Ashes Test, following similar measures at the Boxing Day Test in Melbourne and New Year’s Eve events in Sydney.

Sixteen people, including one gunman, were killed in the mass shooting at Bondi Beach on December 14. The perpetrators have been identified as 50-year-old Sajid Akram and his 24-year-old son, Naveed Akram.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Ashes Test
  • Bondi Beach
  • guard of honour

Related News

  • Pietersen and Kartik slam MCG pitch after two-day Ashes Test

    Pietersen and Kartik slam MCG pitch after two-day Ashes Test

  • Ben Stokes criticises MCG pitch after two-day Ashes Test

    Ben Stokes criticises MCG pitch after two-day Ashes Test

  • Cummins and Lyon put Australia on top in Adelaide Ashes Test

    Cummins and Lyon put Australia on top in Adelaide Ashes Test

  • Agencies probe Hyderabad family of Bondi Beach shooter Sajid Akram

    Agencies probe Hyderabad family of Bondi Beach shooter Sajid Akram

Latest News

  • Bombay HC suspends life sentence of Dabholkar murder convict Sachin Andure, grants bail

    19 seconds ago
  • Five cobras rescued in Hyderabad during Naga Panchami

    15 seconds ago
  • Farmers pushed to their limits in for irrigation water in Khammam

    16 minutes ago
  • Eight AP fishermen missing at sea since August 3, search operation underway

    16 minutes ago
  • KTR condemns removal of Peddi Sudarshan Reddy’s statue, calls it barbaric

    22 minutes ago
  • Satyendar Jain arrested at BJP’s behest, case will be proved fake: Kejriwal

    27 minutes ago
  • Telangana Employees Plan Protests on August 27, Mahadharna on September 10

    36 minutes ago
  • Former Delhi minister Satyendar Jain, ex-DJB CEO among six arrested in alleged tender scam

    41 minutes ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam