Tuesday, Aug 18, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | News | Boeings New Capsule Safe Enough To Bring Two Astronauts Back Home

Boeing’s new capsule safe enough to bring two astronauts back home?

NASA to take a call on Saturday on the new capsule to bring two astronauts from the ISS, where they've been waiting since June

By AP
Updated On - 23 August 2024, 11:01 AM
Boeing’s new capsule safe enough to bring two astronauts back home?
NASA astronauts Sunita Williams and Butch Wilmore will face more time in space, return delayed till late March.
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

Cape Canaveral: NASA said it will decide this weekend whether Boeing’s new capsule is safe enough to return two astronauts from the International Space Station, where they’ve been waiting since June.

Administrator Bill Nelson and other top officials will meet on Saturday. An announcement is expected from Houston once the meeting ends. Astronauts Butch Wilmore and Sunita Williams launched aboard Boeing’s Starliner on June 5. The test flight quickly encountered thruster failures and helium leaks so serious that NASA kept the capsule parked at the station as engineers debated what to do.

Also Read

  • Sunita Williams, Butch Wilmore’s fate hangs in balance even after more than two months, as NASA weighs return options
  • Prayers, faith & hope for NASA astronauts Sunita Williams, Barry Wilmore stranded at ISS

SpaceX could retrieve the astronauts, but that would keep them up there until next February. They were supposed to return after a week or so at the station. If NASA decides SpaceX is the way to go, Starliner would return to Earth empty in September.

Engineers are evaluating a new computer model for the Starliner thrusters and how they might perform as the capsule descends out of orbit for a touchdown in the US Western desert. The results, including updated risk analyses, will factor into the final decision, NASA said.

Boeing said earlier this month that extensive testing of thrusters in space and on the ground demonstrated Starliner’s ability to safely return the astronauts. It was the company’s first astronaut flight, delayed for years by a multitude of capsule problems. Two previous Starliner test flights had no one on board.

NASA hired Boeing and SpaceX a decade ago, after the space shuttles retired, to ferry its astronauts to and from the station. SpaceX has been at it since 2020.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Boeing
  • Boeing's Starliner
  • Butch Wilmore
  • International Space Station

Related News

  • NASA invites ISRO to join Moon Base programme for lunar South Pole outpost

    NASA invites ISRO to join Moon Base programme for lunar South Pole outpost

  • NASA astronauts Anil Menon, Jessica Meir undertake spacewalk to upgrade space station

    NASA astronauts Anil Menon, Jessica Meir undertake spacewalk to upgrade space station

  • Elon Musk loses over $600 billion as SpaceX and Tesla shares tumble

    Elon Musk loses over $600 billion as SpaceX and Tesla shares tumble

  • SpaceX launches Starship test flight, deploys next-generation Starlink satellites despite imperfect landing

    SpaceX launches Starship test flight, deploys next-generation Starlink satellites despite imperfect landing

Latest News

  • Hyderabad: 26-year-old shopkeeper dies of electrocution in Balanagar

    3 minutes ago
  • Families donate organs of two brain dead individuals in Hyderabad

    4 minutes ago
  • Malkajgiri civic body to modernise traffic signals at key junctions

    8 minutes ago
  • Kejriwal alleges Delhi Police took Kuldeep Kumar from home early morning

    20 minutes ago
  • Tata Sons AGM adjourned as Tata Trusts fail to nominate representative

    21 minutes ago
  • Need to shorten OODA loop for operational superiority: Air Marshal Tejpal Singh

    54 minutes ago
  • Several Tollywood celebrities give up voting rights in Hyderabad

    54 minutes ago
  • Komatireddy Venkat Reddy suspects officials’ role in adding properties to 22-A list

    1 hour ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam